We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yum Yum Ninja - 'Pan Asian'

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,237 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Yum Yum Ninja - 'Pan Asian'

Not a new restaurant (about a year old I think) but for any foodie interested members that still read this forum....

Stoofer's a sceptic when it comes to 'fusion' and 'Pan Asian' especially when they guys in the kitchen are British so I pondered eating here many times and again recently following a couple of drinks in their upstairs bar and seeing diners eating outside. It's an interesting place all round with an interesting menu, the courtyard ideal for relaxed lunch on a warm day, on a busy day when the lanes are rammed it's a quiet oasis. I've eaten their pork belly buns from the takeaway cart in the lanes a few times and they are wonderful little things but somehow I doubted the place for a meal, perhaps due to the horrible menu board outside that makes it look like a fast food joint.

Anyway curiosity got the better of us and we dropped in recently one sunny lunch time, tried the dim sum and dumplings, various selections, some sashimi and vegetarian dishes, I also had the Tataki beef. It's very informal, good friendly and knowledeable service, the prices work out on the pricey side as servings are quite small so what appears on the menu to be relatively low cost can mount up to be an average to higher cost if you are not careful but I'd say it's good value. You can keep the cost down, Dim Sum and dumplings are good average price, 3 sets for £9 that's £1 per dumpling or Dim Sum - put into context that's cheaper than places like Wagammama and much the same as Pompoko for dumplings but the product is far far superior.

I have to say the presentation was excellent and the food sublime, a real shock actually. The dim sum and dumplings better than I've had anywhere else in Brighton and perhaps the best I've had in the U.K., the fish was fresh and full of flavour, the beef skirt outstanding, served to perfection with pickles and wasabi salt balance wonderful. Some guys on our next table where having black bream and there were several fried fish dishes that looked excellent.

Will definitely be back and recommend it, I didn't care much for the restaurant ambience so I'd stick with eating outside but that's just personal preference. For this type of food don't be put of by the exterior or it's attempts to be trendy - it puts out food with real substance from

talented chefs IMO

A sign said 50% off on Sunday's, will defo check that out!

Stoofer

Edited: 5:36 am, August 07, 2013
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,437 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yum Yum Ninja - 'Pan Asian'

a rare accolade indeed from Stoofer, according with numerous similar good reviews.

(the acomplished chef's probably has something to do with the resto being owned/operated by Riddle & Finns around the corner)

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186273-…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186273-i249-k56…

Edited: 7:37 am, August 07, 2013
U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Yum Yum Ninja - 'Pan Asian'

Not that rare Bo, I always give credit where due ;-)

I'm not sure how it works with Riddles but they seem to use a joint kitchen/storage/prep, when you are in Yum Yum or in the area (perhaps eating the pork buns as I do LOL) you see the chefs appearing from the back of Yum Yum carrying stuff to Riddles - Riddles is a small kitchen so it makes sense I guess. Judging by the food and presentation I would imagine the chefs in Yum Yum are not the same as Riddles but perhaps cross training is taking place - great idea - two very different restaurants both producing quality, next time I'll ask one of the chefs.

Yep I did check the forum and saw your flag but noted no comment and presumed you regulars here haven't tried it yet,. I know the review site is for such things but there was always regular foodie comment on this forum. I'll post again if we get down to a 50% day, if so will eat through a lot of the menu we missed ....munumunum ;-)

Stoofer

Brighton, England
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yum Yum Ninja - 'Pan Asian'

Thanks Stoofer for the report. I too have been wondering about this place for ages. We very nearly went there Monday but we also were put off by the "fast food" style of the menu outside. Very, very interested in this 50% discount on a Sunday. I may be able to persuade my husband to return to this place (he does love a bargain), as we thought it might work out a bit pricey otherwise, and it's not his favourite cuisine to start with. Fingers crossed!

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Yum Yum Ninja - 'Pan Asian'

Hi Poppy

Nice to see you here, maybe you can sell it to hubby due to the outside patio, not a bad place to relax with a glass of something anyway.

Yes the mains or what you might look upon as mains are restaurant prices for fairly small portions as you'd expect really, but there's a lot gone into producing the dishes. It's not crazy prices, we had a good selection and a bottle of wine (decent S.B. £15) for £70 for 2 including service charge. i could have eaten more but it was sufficient for light lunch.

if you go with things like miso soup and dim sum and just one larger meat or fish dish it can be moderate prices, it's the big dishes that cost as you need more than one each if you are hungry. Next time you pass with hubby get him to try their take away buns first, it might stimulate his interest, the pork belly ones are really good and only £5 for 2 on the cart outside..

Let us know how you get on

Stoofer

Brighton, England
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yum Yum Ninja - 'Pan Asian'

Thanks Stoofer, will do :-)

6. Re: Yum Yum Ninja - 'Pan Asian'

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 10, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Brighton