We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Brighton from London?

Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to Brighton from London?

We plan to purchase a BritRail Pass in order to take daytrips from London. What is the simplest way to get from London to Brighton? Also, is the water clean enough there for the children to wade in?

Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: How to get to Brighton from London?

JC, I don't need to fly across the Atlantic to see fried-food vomiting beer monsters, we have enough of it here in the states. I'm sorry to hear Blackpool is reduced to that, but I'm sure we'll enjoy Brighton. We also have a friend in Kent, would you recommend we visit there or have them meet us in London?

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,211 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: How to get to Brighton from London?

Where in Kent is your friend?

-
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: How to get to Brighton from London?

Depends where in Kent?

Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: How to get to Brighton from London?

The friend is in Walmer Deal, Kent. I'm not certain if the CT 14 7XB is similar to our rural route codes in the US?

-
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: How to get to Brighton from London?

I know Deal very well. It's a small seaside town next to a famous golf region. Sandwich and Princes Golf Clubs, as well as Royal Cinque Ports (Deal G.C.). If you are a golfer? Then great golfing.

Deal has a very small historic area and Woolmer is a resort of a kind but very small. Quiet, laid-back, just a few kiddies rides and a quiet beach. I suppose best described as quaint. It's close to Margate and Ramsgate resorts, big, bussling, but they are very poor in comparrison with Brighton and not worth a visit.

To summarise. If you want a game of golf on a course with history

book a game at Royal St. Georges while the kids enjoy the beach.

And see a quieter side of seaside life. If not, there is limited interest, depending on how much time you have for the vacation you may be better spending the time concentrating on London, the theme parks and Brighton.

London is one of the great cities and can't be rushed. If your short on time and not a golfer, I expect your friends would love to join you for one on your London excursions.

By car, London to Deal wll be about 1.5 hours - 2 hours depending on traffic.

Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: How to get to Brighton from London?

JCBarnes, thank you for your detailed information, I found it very helpful! Our friend in Deal is a recently widowed octogenarian so we'd like to visit while we're there.

Interesting about the golf, my husband has just recently started playing and would enjoy an historic course.

Once again, thank you for your expert opinion.

-
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: How to get to Brighton from London?

Happy to oblige. Note that you would need to book the golf courses in advance and they are not cheap. About £120 for St.Georges

( hosted The Open Championship 2003 ) and £80 for the other two.

If hubby is new to the game, I would imagine he will get just as much a thrill from visiting the three courses without playing. He could have a look around - just get a feel for it. They are in a line from Deal heading north along the coast.

Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: How to get to Brighton from London?

JC, I like your last advice. We'll save the money and just look at the course!!

19. Re: How to get to Brighton from London?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 pm, August 12, 2009