We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brighton & South East UK

Australi
Level Contributor
6 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Brighton & South East UK

Hi, my hubby & I have just decided to explore SE UK for a week or so from 29/12. We will be driving from London. Hotels & B&B's are already pretty much booked out for the New Year period in Brighton. Could any one suggest other towns in the area we should explore & maybe come back to Brighton after the holiday? Thank you!

Brighton, England
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brighton & South East UK

Hi, well, need to know what you like. There are so many lovely places in Sussex, depends what you are looking for.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,285 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brighton & South East UK

This was covered in this thread, which also has the benefit of feedback : tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186299-i695-k46…

Mike

Australi
Level Contributor
6 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brighton & South East UK

Thanks, so I believe.. Last minute decision to come to the UK for Christmas!We will have come from Australia & thought to enjoy London then explore the South. We like to walk, enjoy historical buildings & the outdoors (depending on weather of course!).. Think quaint villages & natural beauty. I am aware one could spend a great amount of time exploring the beautiful South.. Unfortunately we only have 1 week/10 days..

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,285 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brighton & South East UK

As you'll see from the link I posted, the other visitors managed quite a lot in 4 days, so you'll be fine.

From what you say I'd particularly recommend the bracing clifftop walk along the Seven Sisters to Beachy Head, Rye and Winchelsea, the amazing atmosphere of Dungeness, Bodiam Castle (if it's open) and Battle,

Mike

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,338 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brighton & South East UK

Look out for Harvey's pubs. Excellent beer and usually a good welcome and decent food. The brewery is in Lewes which is a pleasant town.

Australi
Level Contributor
6 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brighton & South East UK

Hi Mike,

Thanks so much for the link to your other post. Good to know it's all do-able. All very helpful info! Do you think we need to book ahead in these towns at this time of year? Sarah :)

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,285 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brighton & South East UK

No problem Sarah. The only busy time will be the new year weekend itself, otherwise it should be quiet. I would definitely book your stay in advance for then. Places like "The Mermaid" in Rye will probably be booked up by now for new year, but give it a go.

Lewes is indeed an interesting town, and for some reason less visited by tourists, so that may be another good place to try at this late juncture for new year - there may even be some fireworks on NYE ! Start here for accommodation : http://www.lewesbandb.co.uk/

Mike

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,236 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Brighton & South East UK

If you have a car it's always worth looking at Arundel, winter not the best time to visit but you can explore the Sussex villages from there and enjoy some nice pubs, countryside etc. The downs and woods for a good walk before returning to a 16th century pub with a log fire is always cosy winter activity. Off season few tourists, you'll get to feel a bit of the Sussex lifestyle.

Brighton quite accessable from Arundel and visa versa, but could do worse than splitting the week 3/4 and using Arundel as a base for West Sussex and Brighton as a base for East and of course Brighton itself needs a couple of days with great nightlife to suit all. As long as you don't seek a manic New Years Eve, Brighton will stil be in full swing after the New Year so perhaps just a restaurant or hotel dinner for N Y E in a village or town like Arundel will suit?

Check out Arundel by Google, think Castle, cathedral, antyque shops, river, countryside, pubs, tea rooms, restaurants, ....NIce!

Stoofer

Edited: 12:10 pm, December 05, 2011
East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,285 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brighton & South East UK

I agree with everything Stoofer says - except that if you want to get a feel of the county of East Sussex, stay in Lewes or Rye, not Brighton. Brighton has very little to do with East Sussex these days, as I'm sure the Brightonians on here will agree.

If on the other hand you want to spend some time in the one of England's most vibrant cities, Brighton (and Hove !) is the place for you.

Mike

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,236 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Brighton & South East UK

Yep, Mikey....agreed ;-)

I just thought that after 3 days in a small village they would like to be in the huste and bustle of Brighton.........and use it as a base to explore east, I don't think 3 bases for accommodation are necessary. Just thoughts..

Stoofer

Get answers to your questions about Brighton