We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

*Problematic house rental in Hove via Ownersdirect website*

London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
*Problematic house rental in Hove via Ownersdirect website*

I recently booked a weekend break on the Owner's direct Website. However, 2 months after departing the property I have still not had my deposit of £500 refunded by the property owners of E1878 in Hove, Nr Brighton.

www.ownersdirect.co.uk/england/e1878.htm

I have informed Owner's Direct, however they have outright refused to remove the property, or investigate the matter further. I am concerned that they are doing little to protect customers from unreliable owners. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Mentioned in this post
Hove
Hove
Brighton and Hove, UK
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: *Problematic house rental in Hove via Ownersdirect website*

take them to the small claims court, for breach of contract

Level Contributor
643 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: *Problematic house rental in Hove via Ownersdirect website*

Have you read the terms on the website.

I would quote them but I would be in breach of those very terms.

Owners Direct is merely a hosting venue and has nothing to do with your booking.

As bojangles says - get started down the small claims route ASAP.

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: *Problematic house rental in Hove via Ownersdirect website*

I have already submitted court papers and am plannin to request a court order should they refuse to pay up. However, I am surprised that the ownersdirect website would consider it worthwhile to host such inreliable owners adverts. I would have thought it would be in their interests to remove properties that have caused such difficulties. I hope this post serves as a warning to any potential future guest of the property! Does anyone know of anyway other way I could warn people? Other forums etc.?

Level Contributor
643 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: *Problematic house rental in Hove via Ownersdirect website*

The issue, I would imagine, is that one person i.e. you, who had an allegedly bad experience, does not make the property or it's owners bad.

You appear to have not found the owners reliable in respect of refunding your deposit. Perhaps it is an isolated incident, perhaps not.

Has there been an exchange of letters/calls/emails with the owners and have they given any reason for the lack of return of your deposit?

Edited: 9:13 am, November 26, 2011
5. Re: *Problematic house rental in Hove via Ownersdirect website*

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:41 pm, June 22, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Brighton