We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Right To Be Put Off Because Of Drug Culture?

West Yorkshire
2 posts
Save Topic
Right To Be Put Off Because Of Drug Culture?

Hiya, and thank you for a fantastically informative site. However, I wish to touch on and enlarge a discussion that is preventing me from making the final decision in moving to the beautiful place of Brighton And Hove. I love everything about the area from nightlife to the history, culture and people. I have increasingly found though, the further I dig in the quest to cover every avenue, as it were, I am becoming increasingly aware of a massive drug problem/culture in Brighton And Hove. Is this the case and how does it affect local life on a daily and nightly basis. I find it deeply worrying to be surrounded by drug addled chavs on a saturday nights saunter along the seafront, for example. No! I am not an old fuddy duddy, in fact in my 30's and my partner is only 25, it is just that we want a safe and relaxed environment to enjoy our lives together but this issue is threatening our impending future here. Please, I am aware of drugs and yobs being a national problem, but I just wonder if it is more prevelant than say London or Liverpool? Any advice to put me straight would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,274 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Right To Be Put Off Because Of Drug Culture?

Yes, Parking. What a rip-off!

I live a 30 min train ride away, rarely drive now. Access and parking deteriorated in last few years, can be a nightmare and always expensive.

Stoofer

Brighton, UK
Level Contributor
707 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Right To Be Put Off Because Of Drug Culture?

I've lived in Brighton for 13 years now and I have been very lucky so far in terms of encountering problems with drug addicts etc. However we can't deny that there is a big problem - the area where I work (St Peter's Church) is a hotspot and we are surrounded by drunk people and junkies all the time because of the proximity to the probation office, various hostels, AddAction etc. I've got used to it - but you need to be a bit street aware, like in any city really.

The worst problem right now, IMHO, is of a rather more mundane nature, and it's the traffic, because Brighton is literally being dug up at the moment by utilities companies replacing pipework. This has caused a more or less permanent gridlock, I see it from my office window every day of the week, just a long stream of cars trying to get to the town centre, but getting nowhere. Even the buses are taking longer.

Hopefully in a year or so it should all be over...

brighton
Level Contributor
39 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Right To Be Put Off Because Of Drug Culture?

blimey, what a lot of negativity - I moved to Brighton from London 8 years ago and work locally- my son goes to school round the corner and can walk there and go down the street to play with mates. At 9, this would never happen in most areas in London.We never have any trouble parking on the street, its a 20 minute walk to the lanes and you have all that Brighton has to offer. Friends who have come down to visit are amazed by little things like leaving running shoes on the doorstep and them not getting stolen, and the fact that I know at least 20 people in the street.

On top of that, you have access to beautiful countryside,fantastic walking, the sea and a whole host of stuff going on. All cities have things that can be annoying - the centre of town gets a bit much around certain streets on a Friday and Sat night in the summer, mostly because hen and stag nights get drawn here by what Brighton has to offer. Small price to pay for swimming in the sea after work on a hot summers day .

good luck with your move!

14. Re: Right To Be Put Off Because Of Drug Culture?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, September 06, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Brighton