We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Suffolk

Hamilton Island
2 posts
Save Topic
Moving to Suffolk

Hi all,

I am planning to live in england for 1-2 years and eyeing up Suffolk as a likely destination. If anyone could offer advice on the following it would be greatly appreciated;

- jobs market for accounting/admin roles. Would Bury be the main source of this type of work?

- how difficult will it be to get about without a car.

- who is the closest english premier league side (arsenal?)

- what would be a rough estimate of the comparative cost of living to london eg 70%

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Suffolk

Ipswich would be the main source of employment in Suffolk, next would be Lowestoft but I guess you would not want to be in North Suffolk close to Norfolk.

Quite difficult to get around without a car although would be possible if you were in Ipswich, which has good rail connections, and lesser at Stowmarket or Bury St Edmunds. Rural Suffolk would be virtually impossible without a car.

I guess West Ham would be the easiest Premier League side to get to, but Tottenham Hotspur (Spurs) and Arsenal would be possible.

Cost of living figures would be virtually meaningless unless we know what you propose to buy, and how far you are travelling to work.

I'm not quite sure why you favour Suffolk - employment, getting around and Premier league football would all be much easier in places like Birmingham (Aston Villa), Manchester and Liverpool.

Mentioned in this post
Ipswich
Ipswich
Suffolk, UK
Suffolk
Suffolk
East Anglia, UK
Lowestoft
Lowestoft
Suffolk, UK
Norfolk
Norfolk
East Anglia, UK
Stowmarket
Stowmarket
Suffolk, UK
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Suffolk

Chico_baby,

1. Bury is one of the best sources of accounting/admin-type work. Ipswich is a larger town but Bury is much more historic and in terms of cafes/pubs/markets I prefer Bury. Bury itself is quite large and getting work here should be fine.

2. Focusing on Bury, if you live and work in one of the more central areas then you will be fine without a car. If you are somewhere less central then it will be better to have a car. A lot of the bus routes have no evening or Sunday service. Bus timetables are at firstgroup.com/ukbus/…timetableindex.php Look at routes 81, 82 and 83.

Bury has good transport to Cambridge. Its about an hour but it would probably be a bit much to work there. London is about two hours away.

3. The region currently has no premiership teams and the closet premiership teams are the London ones.

Mentioned in this post
Ipswich
Ipswich
Suffolk, UK
Cambridge
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire, UK
London
London
England, UK
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Suffolk

In general I agree with the above post (I live in Clare, by the way, in the South West of the county about 15 miles due south of Bury St E)

There is a fair amount of work around, but the areas is of course very rurual so the population (and therefore job) density is lower than near big cities

I like Bury a lot, it's a really nice town and well sized. I think I would favour it. The other alternative would be living around Bury or anywhere west of it and possibly working in Cambridge - there is loads of work there

Getting around without a car is a bit of a pain, like most rural areas. I wouldn't want to rely on the buses which are very slow and infrequent and the trains are quite sparse because of the rural nature of the area. To be honest I'd only conisder it if I was actually living in a largish town

West Ham is indeed the closest premiership side, although it's very easy to get to Arsenal or Tottenham as well. Downside to these two is that hme tickets would be very difficult/impossible to get hold of, I think it's season tickets only for most of their games. Personally I'd go for West Ham, especially as they have just signed a couple of top Argentinian players

I wouldn't question "Why Suffolk?" necessarily as I love it here, but I am curious, all the same :-)

Mentioned in this post
County Clare
County Clare
Province of Munster, Ireland
Cambridge
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire, UK
Suffolk
Suffolk
East Anglia, UK
Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,735 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Suffolk

As a Suffolk girl (now in exile oop north) I too am curious about Suffolk?

The fact that Chico calls it 'Bury' rather than Bury St Edmunds suggests some local knowledge of the area already.

I wouldn't want to put anyone off living in this beautiful area but it wouldn't be my first choice in terms of ease in getting around.

Mentioned in this post
Suffolk
Suffolk
East Anglia, UK
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Suffolk

I've been thinking about this, on the question of cost of living

Most "costs of living" don't vary much from place to place - fuel, utilities, food, clothes etc all cost pretty much the same throughout the country

Eating and drinking out varies a bit, but not that much. The main thing which does change (and of course is the biggest single expenditure for many) is housing

If that's a factor, then as far as Suffolk is concerned what makes places expensive more than anything else is proximity to a main line train to London. The main line from London goes through Manningtree, Ipswich and Stowmarket

Cambridge, just out of the county, is also a very expensive place as far as housing is concerned and some of the villages near it which are in Suffolk, out about as far as Newmarket, get affected by this as well

The other expensive places to live are pretty villages, around the Stour Valley (Clare, Cavendish, Long Melford, Lavenham) and especially on the coast - particularly Southwold and Aldeburgh. There's not much work around the coast either

Country towns away from convenient train links probably offer the best mix of work/cheaper accommodation. Places like Sudbury, Hadleigh, Woodbridge and so on are all OK, I'm sure there are some in the north of the county (Eye, Bungay) which are of a similar type. As the biggest of the towns Bury probably offers the best options and accommodation here can be quite affordable

Mentioned in this post
Suffolk
Suffolk
East Anglia, UK
London
London
England, UK
Ipswich
Ipswich
Suffolk, UK
Stowmarket
Stowmarket
Suffolk, UK
Cambridge
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire, UK
Newmarket
Newmarket
Suffolk, UK
County Clare
County Clare
Province of Munster, Ireland
Long Melford
Long Melford
Babergh District, UK
Lavenham
Lavenham
Babergh District, UK
Southwold
Southwold
Suffolk, UK
Aldeburgh
Aldeburgh
Suffolk, UK
Sudbury
Sudbury
Babergh District, UK
Hadleigh
Hadleigh
Babergh District, UK
Woodbridge
Woodbridge
Suffolk, UK
Bungay
Bungay
Suffolk, UK
Hamilton Island
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Suffolk

Thankyou all for your very helpful replies.

I travelled around england about 5 years ago but didnt get to the east coast. i have heard many great things about it since then and would love to experience life there for a year or so.

As for why Suffolk, im really seeking to experience the country/village lifestyle but still having the luxury of a weekend or two in london. Access to the Holland etc is also an advantage over Cornwall which is my other favoured choice. Its not my preferred option to live in the big centres such as Liverpool etc.

I expect towns in Cornwall (which i have visited) would have the same question marks (availability of work/transport) but this would be the same with any country area.

From these posts Bury (St Edmunds) sounds like a good bet, hopefully they can squeeze a tv into "Britians smallest pub" so i can watch the EPL.

Mentioned in this post
Suffolk
Suffolk
East Anglia, UK
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to Suffolk

No TV in the Nutshell I'm afraid but there are plenty of other options. BSE is well stocked with pubs, as you'd expect from the town with Britain's largest independent brewery ;-)

If you want to get to Holland as well then anywhere in East Anglia is quite convenient. There's a rail/sail deal with Dutch Flyer (www.dutchflyer.co.uk) which has one way fares from anywhere in East Anglia to Amsterdam for £25. It's a total steal

Bury is about 1 hour from Harwich (from where the boats sail to Holland) by train.

Coast relatively accessible, but I would still urge a car if you want to get out there, it really does open the options up

Mentioned in this post
East Anglia
East Anglia
England, UK
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
8. Re: Moving to Suffolk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, August 22, 2009