We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info on nice coastal and country pubs

Hull, England
Level Contributor
104 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Info on nice coastal and country pubs

Hi

Its a few years since I have been to Norfolk but my wife and I plus our 5 month old will be staying in a cottage for a week.

We plan to do quite a bit of exploring and would like to take in some nice coastal and country pubs if possible for nice food and a pint.

If anyone can recommend any, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, John

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Info on nice coastal and country pubs

Big County, where are you staying?

Hull, England
Level Contributor
104 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Info on nice coastal and country pubs

South raynham in a cottage. Will be exploring wide areas of the county especially the coastline

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Info on nice coastal and country pubs

Good walks around Burnham Overy Straithe, pub called "The Hero" which we enjoyed last year.

Can't help you anymore but hope others can.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Info on nice coastal and country pubs

The very best of coastal walks is the Norfolk Coast Path.

See the following article by a very learned contributor

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186269-d211652/Nor…

This path runs through Burnham Overy Stathe as referred to previously, but my particular favorite is from Stiffkey to Wells, with magnificent views as you approach Wells.

The closest town to South Raynham is Fakenham, once voted the most boring town in the country, but this is more than a little unfair. There is a market and auction on Thursdays, a wholeslale chocolate shop, and a new branch of Wetherspoons called The Limes if you like their fare. Also has Tesco, Morrisons and Lidl supermarkets, a large garden centre and banks with cash dispensers. South is Swaffham, a pleasant country town and the nearby Castle Acre is worth a visit. Nearby Dereham may also be worth a visit.

I'm not a great fan of the Hero myself, but there are lots of country pubs to choose from, including The Ship at Brancaster, the Jolly Sailors and White Horse at Brancaster Staithe, the Hoste Arms at Burnham Market and the Victoria at Holkham. Holkham Hall and Deer Park is worth a visit - check opening times - and Sandringham is not too far away.

For beaches, there are also lots to choose from, the best being Old Hunstanton, Brancaster, Holkham and Wells next the Sea. Lots of room for all on these beaches, especially when the tide is out! Holkham is regularly voted into the top ten of British beaches.

Also near to South Raynham is Pensthorpe wild life park and Thursford, with a selection of tractiion engines and organs. The organ playing by Richard Wolfe is quite fantastic! You'll be spoilt for choice!

Essex
Level Contributor
28,568 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Info on nice coastal and country pubs

The Red Lion at Stiffkey is excellent for food and beer.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Info on nice coastal and country pubs

A few of my favourites:

Nelson at Horsey, Dun Cow at Salthouse (excellent food), Ostrich at Swanton Morley, White Hart at Hingham, The Buckinghamshire Arms at Blickling (closed at the moment but due to re-open at the end of the month with a new tenant - owned by National Trust), The Chequers at Binham.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Info on nice coastal and country pubs

The Ship in Brancaster is highly recommended.

8. Re: Info on nice coastal and country pubs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 14, 2014