We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car for a broad-shouldered 6'2" driver?

Victoria, Canada
9 posts
Save Topic
Rental car for a broad-shouldered 6'2" driver?

Thanks to those who advised me where to find car-rental offices open on Sunday (A: the airport). Being Canadian (eh), I'm unfamiliar with Vauxhall Corsas, Chevy Matizes, Peugot 207s, etc. Would anyone know which of these would fit me (somewhat) comfortably? I"d hate to be driving around the North Coast scruched behind a too-close steering wheel, legs bent, shoulders rounded, . . . . You get the idea. I'm pretty sure a Golf would suit, but I'd like to know if there are alternatives.

Cheers.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,798 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car for a broad-shouldered 6'2" driver?

They are all bit on the small size

Have a look on the Hertz website at the standard or intermediate models

I am not recommending Hertz per se just giving the link as an illustration

You could look at Avis, National, Enterprise for similar lists.

www.hertz.co.uk/rentacar/reservation/vehicles

www.enterprise.co.uk/car_rental/location.do…

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,068 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car for a broad-shouldered 6'2" driver?

My 6' 3" broad shouldered son had a Vauxhall Corsa for a while and never had a problem fitting it. He did push the seat right back though. They are more roomy nowadays so you should be fine, but if want more room then a Vauxhall Astra or Ford Focus might be better

Diz
UK
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car for a broad-shouldered 6'2" driver?

There is a UK car website that has a lot of detail about different models of cars - very useful if you're unfamiliar with European models:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/

From the model you're interested in, you can go to the full review that has a photo gallery and includes facts and figures.

All those you quote will be 'cosy' though you'd probably cope for short trips (assuming your knees fit under the steering wheel).

Glasgow
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental car for a broad-shouldered 6'2" driver?

The Ford Focus is a common rental car and is about the same size as a Golf.

Whatever you choose avoid the smaller engine versions.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,120 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental car for a broad-shouldered 6'2" driver?

The thing is, we all see these cars all the time and think they are quite reasonable, but if the average Canadian car is like an American car (never been to Canada - sorry)- ie the size of a mid-range tank - you are going to find all of these teeny-tiny. How much luggage do you have? How many of you in the car? It's less of an issue if there will be no-one in the back because you can out the seats all the way back, as noted above.

Victoria, Canada
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental car for a broad-shouldered 6'2" driver?

Thanks to everyone for your input. The Parkers site is interesting, and distracting, but I find I put more trust in comments such as dicano10's. Nothing like (second-hand) personal experience. To answer Akkarin's (valid) questions, there will be two of us and we'll have no more than the average amount. We're planning short trips to parts of the Norfolk North Coast, and perhaps down to Cambridge, so I won't be spending hours behind the wheel regardless.

(I find that Europeans have a different attitude to driving long distances: in North America, driving several hundred kilometres in a day on holiday is nothing out of the ordinary. By contrast, on our last trip to England, we appeared to shock our BandB proprietor by suggesting that we'd drive from the Cotswolds to Bath in the morning, and make it to London that night. Food for thought.)

As for the size of our car at home, it's a Honda Fit, which is a compact. So, I imagine something like a Vauxhall Corsa will feel quite similar to our regular ride.

By the way, I agree that North American cars are way too big, on average. No excuses.

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental car for a broad-shouldered 6'2" driver?

Hi!

English chaps come in size large too!

My husband is 6'6'' and can quite comfortably drive our daughter's Corsa.

Nicer than a Peugeot (in my opinion), bear in mind that hire cars in England are usually manual transmission, you'd probably have to pay more if you are more accustomed to and would prefer an automatic.

""We're planning short trips to parts of the Norfolk North Coast, and perhaps down to Cambridge, so I won't be spending hours behind the wheel regardless.""

You don't say where you are based or from which airport you are collecting the car- if you are in London, then a trip to Cambridge will be fine, but the roads in Norfolk are a little more rural and may take longer than you anticipate. Enjoy East Anglia, we used to live in Suffolk.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,798 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental car for a broad-shouldered 6'2" driver?

I know it's been said before

Many rental cars in UK are diesel powered

Diesel comes out of the black nozzle

Petrol the green

Sorry if you already know this but it can be an expensive mistake.

Burstwick, Hull
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental car for a broad-shouldered 6'2" driver?

My husband is 6ft 1 with long legs , he thinks a Corsa or Peugot 207 may be OK ,but avoid a Nissan Micra . In his words "You could wear a top hat but your knees would be up along side your ears", a bit like James Stewart on a pony.

10. Re: Rental car for a broad-shouldered 6'2" driver?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, August 25, 2013