We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wanted a Thatched Roofed Rental for Two

San Francisco
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Wanted a Thatched Roofed Rental for Two

I am looking to rent a Thatched Roof home for at least two people in East Anglia.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wanted a Thatched Roofed Rental for Two

Your best bet is to do an online google for thatched cottage East Anglia. Here are 3 websites to get you started.

www.stilwell.co.uk

http://www.oas.co.uk/ukcottages/e_anglia1.htm

http://www.norfolkcottages.co.uk/virtual_tour

San Francisco
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wanted a Thatched Roofed Rental for Two

Thanks Britfan.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wanted a Thatched Roofed Rental for Two

East Anglia covers a large area - do you have anywhere particular in mind?

Although I am from Suffolk, I love to visit Norfolk. These cottages looks great, good location too.

chooseacottage.co.uk/webparts/part_detail.asp

(properties AH33 and CBW)

Suffolk is beautiful though - have a look at -

internet-cottages.com/suffolk/lodge_cottage.…

or

www.grove-cottages.co.uk

If you want any more info about Suffolk or Norfolk just give me a shout.

M

San Francisco
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wanted a Thatched Roofed Rental for Two

Thanks for the reply. I am primarily looking for a Thatch roof cottage for two. The location is not absolutely important. Tho suggestions of the best areas with regard to safety, convenience history etc is important.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wanted a Thatched Roofed Rental for Two

Ok, tell me a bit more. Convenience, safety, history.......

Convenience to what? A lot of Suffolk and Norfolk can be pretty rural although there are largish towns/cities. Do you want to stay in the country but near a town? Are you after lots of restaurants and shopping? Or are you after walks in the country and quieter pursuits.

Do you want to stay near the coast?

Not quite sure what you mean by safety.

Loads of history everywhere in the area.

I assume you will be hiring a car?

Please get back to me with more details and we can work on finding what you want.

M

San Francisco
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wanted a Thatched Roofed Rental for Two

<<Ok, tell me a bit more. Convenience, safety, history.......

Convenience to what? A lot of Suffolk and Norfolk can be pretty rural although there are largish towns/cities.>>

My primary goal is to soak up atmosphere. I "Lovejoy" fan and I am going to buy the whole seven seasons and primarily spend a month watching them in East Anglia. The video protocols make it impossible to buy and watch European VHS and DVD's in America so I figure this would be a nice vacation project.

<<Do you want to stay in the country but near a town? Are you after lots of restaurants and shopping? Or are you after walks in the country and quieter pursuits.>>

I want one of the Thatch roofed cottages that Lovejoy might have stayed in but affordable for a minimum of two people but not more if possible. I plan to enjoy the environs while I accomplish this primary goal. Thoroughbred racing or steeple chases might be nice to attend.

<<Not quite sure what you mean by safety.>>

In America you don't want to NOT know where you are and what the local crime issues are so I need to know what the local issues are for tourist in particular.

<<Loads of history everywhere in the area.>>

Absolutely interested I am an amateur historian see my website seedsofheaven.com.

<<I assume you will be hiring a car?>>

Yes but I hope to be able to control that expense with renting as needed but England has great railway I think.

<<Please get back to me with more details and we can work on finding what you want.

M>>

Thanks for your help. I forgot to check the forum and you may be a good contact.

Tito

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wanted a Thatched Roofed Rental for Two

Hi again

Quick reply (will write in more detail over the next day or so).

Reading your last posting (and the Lovejoy stuff) I think you should stay in and around Lavenham in Suffolk.

You can watch Lovejoy and then recognise the places!

Lovejoy was also filmed in Bury St Edmunds and this is only about 20 mins from Lavenham. I was born in Bury so can give you all the local info.

Lots of filming of Lovejoy done in Lavenham and it is stunningly beautiful.

See www.lavenham.co.uk for more.

Also a great base for exploring this part of East Anglia.

Tell me if you think I am on the right track!

M

San Francisco
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Wanted a Thatched Roofed Rental for Two

Posted on: 1:01 pm, today Report inappropriate post

<<Hi again

Quick reply (will write in more detail over the next day or so).

Reading your last posting (and the Lovejoy stuff) I think you should stay in and around Lavenham in Suffolk.

You can watch Lovejoy and then recognise the places!

Lovejoy was also filmed in Bury St Edmunds and this is only about 20 mins from Lavenham. I was born in Bury so can give you all the local info.

Lots of filming of Lovejoy done in Lavenham and it is stunningly beautiful.

See www.lavenham.co.uk for more.

Also a great base for exploring this part of East Anglia.

Tell me if you think I am on the right track!

M>>

Hi: Absolutely! Now we are getting somewhere. I don't know is you know Armistead Maupin's: Tale of the City. But, as a San Franciscan I was able to find all the locals in TOC it was fun. May be in a month or so I might find a lot of the Lovejoy locals.

T

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wanted a Thatched Roofed Rental for Two

Hi, me again

When you mentioned Lovejoy everything sort of fell into place.

I think Lavenham or the area around would be ideal for you. This way you have easy access to many of the places where this series was filmed. I had a look at the website www.imdb.com/title/tt0090477/locations

and many of these places are very close by.

Long Melford is just up the road. It has numerous antique shops (now there's a surprise) and an excellent pub called the Bull. All beams and open fires.

Kersey is beautiful - a tiny village with a ford (stream) running across the main street.

Sudbury, Hadleigh, Belchamp etc all within easy reach too. However, a car would be essential.

I cannot imagine there is a problem with the crime rate in this area! It is very quiet, very rural, peaceful and largely unspoilt.

Aside from the Lovejoy connections, this area has many other attractions.

The Lavenham area was wildly prosperous in medieval times because of the wool and cloth produces. Shakespeare mentions Kersey cloth in his plays. This prosperity built the beautiful 'wool churches' in the area. Even the tiniest of villages have a magnificent church to look at. Lavenham and Long Melford churches dominate the villages.

Some other places that might appeal, all close by

Kentwell Hall www.kentwell.co.uk

Castle Hedingham www.hedinghamcastle.co.uk

National Trust properties such as Melford Hall

www.nationaltrust.org.uk

Constable Country (Flatford Mill, East Bergholt) are not far away.

The Suffolk coast is also well worth a visit. Aldeburgh, Thorpeness etc.

Sutton Hoo is fascinating! www.suttonhoo.org

As Suffolk is famous for its 'Suffolk pink' thatched cottages I am sure you would be able to find something suitable to rent in the area. The local tourist boards are often a good source.

Another poster called fullsailmom recently stayed in Lavenham - might be worth checking out her posts. She loved the area.

I've given you lots of stuff to research here - do get back to me if I can help again. Although I live in Yorkshire now, I was born and raised in Suffolk and love it dearly.

By the way, had a couple of days in San Francisco last March - what a wonderful place. Couldn't shift my husband out of Haight Ashbury!

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wanted a Thatched Roofed Rental for Two

Had a quick search -

www.grove-cottages.co.uk/wheelhouse.htm (good location!)

countrycottagesonline.net/project/…

suffolkcountrycottages.co.uk/properties/…S109

internet-cottages.com/suffolk/lodge_cottage.…

countrycottagesonline.net/project/…

M