We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food shopping in Swanage

Which Swanage hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bath
Level Contributor
185 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Food shopping in Swanage

We will be staying in Swanage with 13 relations for a week in early September in self-catering accommodation. We will be in charge of catering and wonder where you can get the best meat and sausages in Swanage. We do not really want to eat supermarket meat. And what is the best place to buy fish and seafood? Any good bakers who make interesting breads (sourdough, rye etc.)?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,510 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food shopping in Swanage

The visit-dorset website lists a local market which takes place every Friday at the Mowlem Theatre.

Swanage Town Centre is compact with lots of small shops so my suggestion is have a good wander round and enjoy discovering!

Bath
Level Contributor
185 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food shopping in Swanage

Thanks, wirewiper

Will do. I just wonder whether any of the locals would know which ones to go for and which to avoid. Here in Bath, there are some butchers and, in particular, bakers who are much better than others, and I assume the same applies in Swanage. And I would rather spend my money locally than take all provisions from Bath to Swanage.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
412 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food shopping in Swanage

Not local but a couple of times when we have camped there have been 2 butchers from memory, both on the High Street I think. Only used 1 but can't remember which of the 2 sorry!

Swanage, United...
Level Contributor
157 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food shopping in Swanage

Swanage is obviously much smaller than Bath and so choice will be more limited to what you are used to and you may have to travel to the outskirts of town to find what you are looking for. Our "High street" is pretty bulk standard. We have 2 small supermarkets, 1 butcher in town and another inside a small convenience store in herston, 1 fishmonger, 2 bakers shops and no green grocers at all im sad to say. There is a small deli for home made humus, sun dried toms, local cold meats, pates and cheeses and a health food shop which also sells a few bits and bobs of seasonal fruit and veg when its available.

Tuesday is market day - mornings are best. Here you'll find fruit and veg, the "saussage man", a baker and various clothing and touristy stalls.

we also have a number of local producers you might be interested in

http://wilkswoodfarm.com/location.html sell local meats from their farm on the outskirts of swanage

award winning ice cream www.purbeckicecream.co.uk/whyourproducts.htm

sublime chocolates made by a husband and wife team daily http://www.chococo.co.uk/

artisan bread, cakes and pastries - Winterbourne Bakery 01929 471966

crab, seasonal fish Jeff Lander 01929-427122

on the 2nd saturday of every month in the grounds of swanage middle school you will find "Purbeck Products", a consortium of local food producers selling their wares in the style of small farmers market.

Hope you have a fab break

Bath
Level Contributor
185 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food shopping in Swanage

Excellent, thank you. Just the sort of information we were after. I have checked out the websites, and it is more than likely that we will use Wilkswood Farm for our meat supplies, and we will certainly visit the other places to see what they have to offer. And we will be there for the market, too.

Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Level Contributor
230 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food shopping in Swanage

You could also try the Village Stores in Corfe Castle - they sell lots of local produce, incluiding bread, and also local beers! Cheers!

Bath
Level Contributor
185 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food shopping in Swanage

Thanks Catsmother

We were planning to cycle to Corfe Castle anyway, so we will check it out. And I will will be desperate for the local beers after organizing the food for everyone.

8. Re: Food shopping in Swanage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 am, July 15, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Swanage