We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boscombe

Which Bournemouth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Boscombe

Am looking at moving to the area and have seen some properties in Boscombe come up. However i was directed to some articles from the later part of 2011 and am now a little bit worries about the area.

What is the are like now in comparison to 2011 and am i just totally wasting my time looking at this area?

Derby
Level Contributor
171 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boscombe

Hi. Boscombe has some areas to avoid in my opinion, but Southbourne worth looking at. Appears to be an up and coming area. New deli's and bars opened, and the High Street has some interesting shops.

Boscombe is doing its best and some expensive properties near the sea front but appears to have a large area I would term 'bedsit land'.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boscombe

Sea front is nice but the town has run-down areas.

Suggest looking round at various different times of day and night.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boscombe

Hi.

I have lived in the Bournemouth/Poole area for about 14 years but | remember what it was like when I first moved and didn't know the areas. I have never lived in Boscombe but it was an area I considered when I first searching. There are some nice parts of Boscombe but also some dodgy parts. I used to love going to Boscombe shopping but I went recently and more shops had closed and it didn't have the same nice vibe as before. I have never really been in Boscombe at night so I can't say what it's like then but I agree with the suggestion of going at different times of day and night to see for yourself.

Why are you looking at Boscombe in particular?

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
810 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boscombe

I live in Boscombe, have done for nearly 5 years.... How can I help?

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
242 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boscombe

In the 70s we used to holiday in Boscombe. Unless we were blinkered it was a very nice area of Bournrmouth back then.

However since we moved south in the 90s I am sorry to say we have seen it decline big time. The main shopping street lost many of its stores including M&S and there were definite criminal and social problems in the bedsit land it became.

To be honest I don't go anywhere near Boscombe now and haven't done so for probably 4 or 5 years as I didn't feel safe or comfortable there even in the middle of the day.

With this in mind it is possible that things have since improved so I must apologise to Boscombe if that is the case.

As others have suggested you need to do some thorough research including visiting at differing times of the day and, if time permits, the year.

Edited: 9:49 pm, January 09, 2013
Not Boscombe
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Boscombe

It's not Bournemouth, it's Boscombe.

Street drinkers, heroin addicts, 47 year old prostitutes, bail hostels, mouldering infested bedsits, night skies of flashing blue all night.

A seafront apartment is best, partially overlooking the car park where many deals go ahead, where the cars turn around after picking up the Sea Road prostitutes, and with an excellent view of Boscombe pier, generally infested with needles and psychopaths.

At the other side of the road is the high ground where the local rehab people are taken out once to say they had seen the sea. The place abounds with wet and dry houses, rehab facilities and meetings. So much so, planning permission was going to be refused for anymore because the area was swamped with people freshly out of them and opting to stay in the area.

It really isn't like Bournemouth

J T T

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boscombe

Just come back from a weekend in the Southbourne area.

We walked along the beach to Boscombe and headed towards the Boscombe town centre to find somewhere to eat. Seemed unbelievable that the seafront packed with luxury apartments only has a grotty Harvester! We walked for about 20 minutes before hitting a pedestrianised 'high street' with lots of shops but no restaurants (apart from the usual KfC and MacDonalds).

I can't quite get my head around the contrasts: you have posh roads full of huge houses (that in London at least would sell for several million), whereas the high street is a complete dive. We eventually found a few eateries and had a very nice curry. But it was hard work finding somewhere.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
414 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boscombe

Boscombe is purely there as a shopping area primarily. There are a couple of decent cafes during the day but it is certainly not ever going to attract a vast array of restaurants. That said if people did a bit of research before going then you could have saved a lot of effort. You missed a few decent eateries in Southbourne High street i.e. LarderHouse, walked past Urban Reef on the seafront and then Reef Encounter on the walk to the High Street. Once on the High Street you were very close to the Cellar Bar which is fairly popular and also the fantastic Thai restaurant Koh Thai Tapas which is only a couple of minutes walk from the MacDonalds, likewise in the opposite direction the curry houses i.e. Momtaz/Bengal Paradise always used to have a decent rep, and there have been a few smaller restaurants spring up around that end of the High Street over time for different cuisines.

It's unfortunate you didn't know this upfront but that's what places like this forum and reviews are for

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boscombe

I used to live next to the Crescent in Boscombe which is meant to be one of the roughest parts but in the two and a half years we were at that house we never had any problems.

I now live closer to the seafront in a block of flats and we have more problems, mainly with noisy drunk people who don't have to go to work in the morning!

Personally I've grown to really love Boscombe and when we moved we chose to stay in the area over moving to another part of Bournemouth.

It's very central to get to town, if you live on the sea side of town you can walk to the sea front in under 15 minutes, there's plenty of quirky independent shops and there's some nice cafes and restaurants too. Most of my friends are young professionals and they all live within 10 minutes of me in Boscombe (if that). I think we've all moved to, and stayed in, the area because it's so easy to get to everywhere and there's everything you could need on your doorstep (shops, a nice bar that we go to regularly, buses, places to eat out, etc).

My favourite places in the Boscombe/Pokesdown area (in no particular order): Boscanova, Urban Reef, Rosies, The Crooked Book, Koh Thai, the antique shops along Pokesdown road, Chaplins/Cellar Bar & The Magic Kitchen (nothing to special to look at but such a nice Chinese with no MSG or additives or colourings).

I know Boscombe doesn't look great at first glance but it's got so many hidden gems.

Also I've never once been a victim of any crime in Boscombe in the three years I've lived there. Never even been shouted at in the street by a drunk person :)

Edited: 9:57 am, May 15, 2013
Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
23,307 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boscombe

We've just returned from a week staying in Burlington Mansions in Boscombe. We travelled with our 5 yr old daughter and had a fantastic time. We felt completely safe and loved the clean beach.

We had a couple of great dinners at Urban Reef and would also recommend breakfast at the Urban Beach Hotel. Really looking forward to a return trip.