We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Bournemouth to Highclere castle

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
From Bournemouth to Highclere castle

I will be in Bournemouth this June for a couple days and would like to visit Highclere castle while there. How can I get to Highclere without a car? I don't seem to be able to find coach or train options from Bournemouth to Newbury.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,181 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Bournemouth to Highclere castle

Bournemouth to Newbury by rail is a bit time consuming, but it can be done. The fastest trains take just under two hours, with a change needed at Reading. Advance fares are available from £14 each way, but you must travel on the specific train and time; you'll pay more for an Anytime or Off Peak fare.

Check train times and fares then book at www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
243 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Bournemouth to Highclere castle

National Express services don't really serve Newbury. I think it is one Northbound and one Southbound each day that calls in.

So, its a train as TravellerPlus says.

Highclere Castle is 6 miles South of Newbury and there is no public transport that goes anywhere near it.

So, its a taxi from Newbury Station, and as confirmed last night for another thread the cost is about £15 one way, so thats £30 for a round trip. The taxi won't wait, if you want it to it will cost £18 per hour extra. If you let the taxi go you will have to phone up and wait for it, or, you could arrange with the driver to return at a certain time to pick you up.

There are taxi ranks outside the station on both sides of the line, so normally no need to book in advance. If you need to the largest local taxi firm is Cabco 01635 44444.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,833 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Bournemouth to Highclere castle

If you are only there for a couple of days I fear that a trip to Highclere without your own car is going to be very time consuming and expensive.

Also you might want to check out the opening times.

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: From Bournemouth to Highclere castle

Thank you everyone for your replies. It indeed looks expensive and time consuming to get to the castle from Bournemouth. I think I will leave the visit for another trip and spend the time enjoying Bournemouth instead. Thanks again everyone!

Christchurch
Level Contributor
416 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Bournemouth to Highclere castle

Would Corfe Castle or Lulworth be a suitable alternative, be easier to reach from Bournemouth via public transport

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: From Bournemouth to Highclere castle

Those would be an option of course, I will think about it. But the reason I was going to visit Highclere was, you guessed it, Downton Abbey : )

7. Re: From Bournemouth to Highclere castle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:42 am, June 19, 2013