We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Dorset?

The Gap
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Dorset?

Hi, I am a first time traveller to Dorset and will be coming in June with my husband, two children (five and two) and my in-laws. I'm bewildered by the wonderful array of options and would like some suggestions on where to stay. We would like to be in reasonable striking distance of the coast. Is there a sandy beach or are they all pebble? I have been looking at the Isle of Purbeck can anyone offer pros and cons?

Thanks in advance for your help

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Dorset?

Purbeck it a lovely place. There aren't many sandy beaches, but places like Kimmeridge have lots of rock pools and snorkeling that will keep children entertained. The village itself is a mile or so from the sea. I know that you can rent the big house by the beach, called the White House, but it sleeps 10 so may be a bit large for your requirements.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,670 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Dorset?

You don't mention accommodation or transport, so it's a little difficult to advise.

The Isle of Purbeck is of course Enid Blyton country, so lashings of ginger beer are generally in order. Swanage has a sandy beach and is a traditional seaside resort, good for B&B-type stays, although the pubs are mostly disappointing. Tom's Field is an excellent campsite at Langton Matravers, with a walk across fields to the natural swimming hole at Dancing Ledge. If renting a house, you could consider Corfe Castle, a lovely village with the castle itself, a steam railway and a few eating and drinking options. Better still though, stay in Worth Matravers, where you have the epic "Square and Compass" pub on your doorstep. Do not miss this place, it's nice to sit outside too if the weather is good. Further east, Sandbanks is a long and beautiful sandy beach, good for a last day trip if getting the ferry back.

On that point, if traveling on a busy summer day, do weigh up the options between the Sandbanks Ferry and the longer (but maybe quicker) land route via Wareham.

It's a great part of the country for a family holiday, one of my absolute favourites.

Mike

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,543 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Dorset?

Bournemouth has a vast sandy beach.

The Gap
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Dorset?

Thanks for taking the time to reply. We will have a car so we're not too restricted and we're looking for self catering accommodation. Corfe Castle looks beautiful and will hopefully keep the steam rail enthusiasts in the family satisfied.

I will research the other places suggested but thanks for confirming Purbeck looks like an ideal family destination. I love the ideal of taking the kids to see rock pools, we live in Brisbane so have nothing like that around here

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Dorset?

If you are going to have a car, that makes everything a lot easier.

I realise that in my earlier post I mentioned a 'house by the beach' at Kimmeridge. I should probably point out, so you don't get the wrong impression, that like most of the coast around there, the 'beach' is actually a massive slab of shale rock. Excellent rock pools though, especially if you can get there for a spring tide.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,774 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Dorset?

We used to love actually staying in Weymouth when the children were small, it has a lovely beach and lots to do, and if you have a car a trip out to the quieter beaches is easy.

7. Re: Where to stay in Dorset?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 15, 2015