We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lyme Regis vs Bath for a short stay in Aug

G L
Toronto, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
Lyme Regis vs Bath for a short stay in Aug

Hello, we will be visiting London this Aug for one week and want to add few days (3-5) to our trip .We are considering staying in either Bath or Lyme Regis. I’ve looked at online travel sites for both these places, but we also hoping to find information on day trips (that don’t require a car) from either of these locations.

I’m not having much luck. For example I’ve found lots of day trips to Stonehenge from London, but nothing from Bath. Many of the London trips include both Stonehenge and Bath in the same tour so I assume that they are not too far apart.

Also, what day trips from Lyme Regis might be of interest? We are three adults and a 9 year.

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
868 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lyme Regis vs Bath for a short stay in Aug

Wow, these are two VERY different places.

I know Lyme much better than Bath, so what I can say is that if your are prepared to be flexible, enjoy walking and having a relaxing time in general, Lyme Regis can serve you very well. It is a 2 1/2 hour train journey from London Waterloo (to Axminster, beautiful journey especially once beyond Salisbury), with short bus or taxi from Axminster to Lyme. The X53 bus service is great to make a day trip along Jurassic Coast (do build in village of Beer as a stop!). Other things to do are looking for fossils, enjoying the beach, sample the great local food and drink. Seaton Tramway from Seaton to Colyton (use X53) is great too.

Stonehenge is very accessible from Salisbury (about an hour from Axminster by train, or build it in as part of your journey to / from London).

Enjoy (whichever one you decide to pick)

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,698 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lyme Regis vs Bath for a short stay in Aug

Stonehenge is an hour from Bath. For local tours from Bath, have a look at Mad Max Tours or Scarper Tours.

Having said that, I'd rather be on a beach looking for fossils with my family!

Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Level Contributor
230 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lyme Regis vs Bath for a short stay in Aug

Bath is a City, and therefore has lots of different transport connections, eg Bristol, Cardiff Salisbury etc, to name three, and obviously lots of coach excursions too. Lyme Regis, as previously said, has no station, and you would need the 31 bus from Axminster station to Lyme these are approx. an hourly service. The X53 from Lyme to either Exeter or Bridport, Weymouth/Poole is also approx. hourly. This is a lovely bus route to do if you can, amazing scenery from the top deck. Both places are worth visiting but are very different, Personally I too would choose Lyme, but as I said before the transport is not so good. Have fun wherever you choose.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lyme Regis vs Bath for a short stay in Aug

Bath is a busy city, Lyme is an attractive old small town with a beach and harbour. When we went to Lyme Regis when our children were at primary school we managed to spend a lot of time fossil hunting and fishing. We also greatly enjoyed the tram at Seaton, and the RNAS museum at Yeovilton, although you may need a car for that.

5. Re: Lyme Regis vs Bath for a short stay in Aug

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 26, 2014