We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weymouth v Bournemouth

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Weymouth v Bournemouth

Can anyone persuade me to stay in Bournemouth rather than Weymouth? I am looking to spend a week in Dorset during the summer hols and am favouring Weymouth. We are a couple with a 7 year old child, so nightlife isn't very important but don't want to go somewhere too quiet. I thought Weymouth might have a bit of a buzz due to the Olympic sailing and we have a chance of renting a flat just before it starts, though don't want to be there when it does due to congestion. Weymouth also looks more central for exploring the Dorset coast in general, ie, the Jurassic coast to the west and Durdle Door, Lulworth Cove etc to the east. All that said, Bournemouth looks like it might be a better bet for a family holiday, with its bigger beach etc but self catering seems more expensive. Basically I'm just trying to ask what's the nicer place for families? I don't know the area at all and would greatly appreciate any views to tip the balance either way. Many thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Weymouth v Bournemouth

u mention you are now coming to weymouth during the summer hols...

it is Olympics time and traffic issues maybe a biggish problem..

depending when and where you are staying in weymouth and a car maybe not the best idea...

you are of course in a great location to go off and tour around dorset and the purbecks which is fabulous but i live in dorchester and i know that weymouth has had more than its fair share of traffic and woes lately.

after the floods this week we are still being inconvenienced by major road closures on the a35 and a37 and local villages still cut off.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Weymouth v Bournemouth

Thanks for the info rog that's precisely why I didn't want to come to Weymouth during the olympics. We were going to come on the week before but it didn't work out. We are now booked to come immediately after. Hopefully the road closures won't affect us then.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Weymouth v Bournemouth

that's cool...i am sure you will have a great time and hope the weather gets better for us all. The a35 road re-opened yesterday only to be closed again today due to more rain :(

sadly the negativity surrounding the travel arrangements getting into and out of weymouth during the Olympic period has put many off visiting in what is the ''high season'' for the hoteliers and tourism related businesses which they are most unhappy about.

they have also lost the big Condor ferry which have gone to Poole as the harbour was deemed unsafe due to cracking. The council has vowed to repair it asap.

as for the bad weather, well! enuff already lol!!!

much of the ''negativity'' and lack of support has actually propagated from the council itself and did not do themselves any favours recently when the council leader told the hoteliers to stop bleating...its all kicked off now!

Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Level Contributor
234 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Weymouth v Bournemouth

If you're coming the week after the olympics, the Weymouth carnival will take place on the Wednesday that week. Always draws a large crowd. Were supposed to have red arrows, but they're not coming now as have, I think, Air Force commitments however we do have other air displays, floats thru streets, fireworks, and plenty of other things happening that day.

I agreee with rog, about the negativity. However now we have just had the torch around for 2 days, judging by the number of people out in the streets, excitement is building. However those involved with tourism, are still saying their business is slow, but the weather doesn't help, with the rain and flooding publicised nationally. Many locals I have spoken to here are getting excited now! and we hope the visitors will come.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Weymouth v Bournemouth

yes i think seeing the torch yesterday despite the deluges of rain has helped the community spirit...it was nice to see so many out. in west Dorset

yesterday.

the red arrows have had all flights lately cancelled down this way due to the bl****y weather lol

seems true about the carnival display tho being cancelled.

raf.mod.uk/reds/displayinfo/displaydates.cfm

Edited: 7:39 am, July 13, 2012
16. Re: Weymouth v Bournemouth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 am, August 05, 2012
england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Weymouth v Bournemouth

Let me get this right, you are thinking of moving to Weymouth or Portsmouth and havent visited either? and you are in wiltshire? get down there and look for yourself!!

wiltshire
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Weymouth v Bournemouth

Yes i live in witshire but the whole idea of this forum is for Asking for information and advice before going places, that's what I was asking . If anyone else is actually interested in offering advice I would love to hear from them

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Weymouth v Bournemouth

Sounds like you may have already chosen as the Olympics are now on but thought I should add some balance but I'm a bit bias as well :-) I'm sure they are having fun down there although the P&R didn't seem full up when we went by on Saturday?

I have lived down here for years, born in Dorset and know Dorset pretty well after living In London for a number of years as well. It partly comes down to location. With the proximity to Purbecks and New Forest it's not really a surprise more people holiday in Bournemouth. Staying in Weymouth makes it very difficult to visit the Forest but in Bournemouth you can get to most of Dorset easily as well. The Sandbanks Ferry makes the Purbecks a really pleasant trip as well.

Both are family resorts but Bournemouth is much bigger. Yes you are right about the beach here in Bournemouth. It is much much bigger and has a lot more variety. For example Bournemouth Pier is totally different from say Durley Chine. You do need to do some research though, otherwise you will end up following the herd. If you want a quieter, small compact traditional location Weymouth may be better suited, but Bournemouth (& Poole) has a lot more to offer...especially if you are willing to move away from the centre. Boscombe beach is very 'uber' cool with plenty for kids to do even if the surf reef is somewhat flat most days! There is plenty to entertain kids around town: Boscombe Chine is really nice and of course Bournemouth Gardens, the Piers and Alum Chine (much quieter) have plenty to do. I would say Boscombe Chine and Alum Chine are by far the nicest for families and quite unique with cafes and big play parks, although the 'pay' attractions are in the centre.

There are some great places to go inland for food in Boscombe & Southbourne for example as well as around the centre. My advice is that you can have fun in the centre but use the land train and see further afield if you want to see a different side. The best parts of the beach are probably away from the centre. You won't get the variety or wider choice of places to eat & drink in Weymouth, but you will need to move around to fully enjoy.

If you want a small family resort in the area you could also go for somewhere like Lyme Regis or maybe Swanage? Hope this helps!

20. Re: Weymouth v Bournemouth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, August 07, 2013