Planning a summer holiday in early July - with our 3 young kids (<5). Based on a success in another country last year, we're looking for:
1. A nice sandy beach within walking distance where we can "plug in" our kids for a morning or so. A pebble beach or shingle is not acceptable
2. A shop within walking distance
3. Nice sea views - preferably from our accomadation
4. Relaxation, relaxation....no busy stuff. slooooww pace of life. Mammy + Daddy want to just crash. No big cities need apply. And definitely don't want to meet lager louts. Retirees seem to make great neighbours...
5. interesting stuff within an hour's drive for an occasional jaunt for the kids or if its raining.
Anyway, we're pretty sold on Coastal Dorset - and was wondering about these 3.
Do Lyme and Swanage get busy? Some of the forum posts talk of parking being tight. How good are the beaches there? (basically, I was shocked at how rare sand appears to be in Dorsetshire).
Burton Bradstock seems to have a beautiful coastline but might be too rural unless you're in the Village. Also seem to be a lot of caravan parks around.