We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recomended reading re Jurassic Coast road trip

Which Dorset hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ramsey...
Level Contributor
66 posts
24 reviews
Recomended reading re Jurassic Coast road trip

My husband and I are planning a week's holiday in June and we'd like to make the most of the Jurassic Coast. Can anyone suggest any good travel books or any suggestions regarding where to base ourselves for a driving trip along the coast and what would be our best route along the coast?

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
853 posts
31 reviews
1. Re: Recomended reading re Jurassic Coast road trip

You could do worse than starting here: www.jurassiccoast.com

In terms of good places to use as a base, I would say look in the corridor Lyme Regis, Bridport, Dorchester, From there you can access all the highlights, which are well described on the above website.

Dorset
Level Contributor
185 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: Recomended reading re Jurassic Coast road trip

Hi

As Travelhappy says Lyme Regis, Bridport, Dorchester would all be good bases. If you wanted somewhere with more of a village feel have a look at Abbotsbury or Burton Bradstock in the west or Lulworth Cove in the east.

One good driving route would be the B3157 between Weymouth & Bridport -especially the area between Abbotsbury & Burton Bradstock. You get superb views over Chesil beach from there. There is a layby with viewpoint about a mile from Abbotsbury on the left hand side. In Abbotsbury itself you could walk up to St Catherines chapel (the hill is not as steep as it looks) for some superb views.

In the east dont miss Durdle Door, Lulworth Cove, Kimmeridge Bay & Chapmans pool.

There is also a lot to see a short drive inland - depends on your interests of course. If you would like more details let me know.

Ramsey...
Level Contributor
66 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: Recomended reading re Jurassic Coast road trip

Thank you very much for the suggestions. I'll certainly take up your offer of help.

Dorset
Level Contributor
185 posts
35 reviews
4. Re: Recomended reading re Jurassic Coast road trip

You are very welcome. Either send me a PM or post on here again.

Penzance, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
27 reviews
5. Re: Recomended reading re Jurassic Coast road trip

There is a section in my blog covering the Jurassic Coast, starting from Budleigh Salterton and going eastwards: http://postcards-pfte.blogspot.com

Edited: 4:48 am, April 22, 2011
6. Re: Recomended reading re Jurassic Coast road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, October 30, 2012