We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torquay voted one of the top resorts in the Country

Which Torquay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
297 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Torquay voted one of the top resorts in the Country

Quoted from the Herald Express today.

HOLIDAYMAKERS have voted for Torquay as one of the top seaside resorts in the country, with a survey by Which? Holiday magazine rating it seventh most popular.

Guesthouse landlady Jacqui Blenkinsopp, recently voted an 'AA Friendliest Landlady', celebrated with an ice cream at the Babbacombe Festival.

She said: "I'm thrilled that we are in the top ten. It is no surprise. We have wonderful beaches, amazing scenery, and the best hospitality that anyone could wish for."

Jacqui, 58, who owns Aveland House in Babbacombe, was last month named by the AA as one of the 20 friendliest landladies in the country.

She said tourism in the Bay, under a new strategy, would go from strength to strength.

"We may be seventh this year — but watch this space. We are going to get bigger and better," she said.

More than 4,000 holidaymakers voted Torquay above St Ives, Skegness and Great Yarmouth.

Blackpool pipped Brighton to be named the nation's favourite seaside resort.

Others were Whitby, Bournemouth, Scarborough and Newquay.

The survey also showed that 40 per cent of UK adults took a trip to the seaside in 2009, and that this figure was set to increase this year.

As many as 20 per cent said they would be more likely to visit a UK seaside resort in 2010 than in 2009.

Rochelle Turner, head of research for Which? Holiday, said: "Millions of Brits will be taking holidays at home this year, and it's certainly one way to ensure that you don't fall victim to volcanic ash."

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Torquay voted one of the top resorts in the Country

Blackpool the top resort in the country? I'm not going to be taking that survey too seriously then.

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
576 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Torquay voted one of the top resorts in the Country

Hi Badcat, I will second you on what you are saying.

I would love to know where this good beach is that people who are trying to promote Torquay is.

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
576 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Torquay voted one of the top resorts in the Country

Bournemouth has been ranksed Britain's "4th", Favorite seaside resort in this survey.

Bournemouth being sighted for it's seven miles of Golden Sands , it's proximity to the countryside & beautiful senery as it's biggest attraction.

Still don't know how good old Blackpool got 1st place?

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
576 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Torquay voted one of the top resorts in the Country

Can I ask where Torquay got ranked out of Ten ???????

Edited: 7:59 am, June 27, 2010
England, United...
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Torquay voted one of the top resorts in the Country

Very surprised Blackpool came in top position! No where near as nice as any of the resorts in Devon in my opinion...

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
576 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Torquay voted one of the top resorts in the Country

For decent beaches in Devon you have to go to North Devon,

Woolacombe, Westward Ho! , Croyde, Saunton, Putsborough.

Torquay is a nice place, change alot, not for the better which is a big shame.

Edited: 10:39 am, June 30, 2010
7. Re: Torquay voted one of the top resorts in the Country

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 28, 2010