We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plymouth in one day

Which Plymouth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Plymouth in one day

I'm going to be staying for a few nights at a relatives in Paignton, and my dad has suggested a day trip via coach over to Plymouth for the two of us. He can't walk for long distances, and my budget is quite tight (I can't generally afford taxis). I've looked through and the distillery tour seems like it might be interesting. I know I'd enjoy walking around the hoe (I think this is what it is called) from looking at pictures, but not sure my dad is up to the walking. Any suggestions on activities and how to best get around town? Thanks.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plymouth in one day

Hi

I suspect your Dad might just like the drive and your company but would your Dad deal with Shopmobility motorised vehicles? That would get you up to the Hoe

plymshopmobilityct.fsnet.co.uk/shopmob.htm

I thought the Gin tour looked interesting so you might just like to find somewhere nice to eat locally if it's raining.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plymouth in one day

Bus Tour around the town

Fish and Chips in the Barbican.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plymouth in one day

Hi there

I would suggest you concentrate the day around the Barbican. I've done the Plymouth Gin distillery tour and would recommend it to you. The Barbican has loads to see and do including some great, atmospheric pubs for lunch, the Mayflower Steps, the National Marine Aquarium at Sutton Quay and of course, the Hoe with Smeaton's Tower and loads of statues and memorials

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plymouth in one day

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

I'm thinking of suggesting the distillery and the bus tour to my dad. I can't find a web site for the bus tour. I've found other sites that list it, but not one with all the information. Does anyone know the web address for the bus tour? Thanks.

Devon
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Plymouth in one day

The double-decker open top bus tours visits all the popular landmarks including the Mayflower Steps, the Barbican, the Elizabethan House, Plymouth Gin, Plymouth Dome and the Royal Citadel on Plymouth Hoe.

The bus ride itself lasts for nearly an hour you may get off as often as you wish and spend time exploring each place. The bus runs every 30 minutes so you may rejoin any bus on the tour at regular intervals.

I think the bus ticket also offers you discounts at many local attractions, shops and restaurants.

Contact Details

Address: Plymouth Citybus, Milehouse, Plymouth, PL3 4AA

Phone: +44 1752 66 2271

www.plymouthcitybus.co.uk/faresandtickets.asp

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
318 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Plymouth in one day

Hi,

Sounds like a Plymouth Tuk Tuk Tour might fit the bill. It is a motorised rickshaw trip around The Hoe, etc, with commentary. Very personal, just you and the driver.

Take a look at their website, hope it's what you are looking for, and enjoy your visit to Plymouth.

http://www.plymouthtuktuktours.com/

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,576 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Plymouth in one day

Be aware that the open top tour hasn't run for the last few years - the only bus tour now I believe is the "Plymouth Discovery Tour" which uses a sningle decker and only runs on certain days - see www.plymouthdiscoverytours.co.uk .

The website for the Tuk Tuk tour is at www.plymouthtuktuktours.com

manchester
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Plymouth in one day

Hi,

In addition to the comments already posted i'd suggest a morning on the Barbican first off.

If your dad can walk short distances you will be able to wander as its not big distances.

From Royal Parade where alot of the buses drop off or the bus station at its east end go to St. Andrews church (should be obvious on Royal Parade), and next door is the Guildhall. Behind the church is the Prystens house which is worth a look and you can keep going in that direction to Notte Street and cross it to go down Southside Street (any passing local will point you in right direction). The distillery is on the right, after that wander on around this street another historical property you can look around is the Elizabethan House, and the quay is accessed via alleys on left side of street. Here there are cafes serving fresh seafood and fishing boats and a generally nice spot. You can also visit the late artist Robert O Lenkowich (prob spelt that wrong) studios / gallery. Continue around the quay keeping the water on your left until you reach the Mayflower Steps, National Marine Aquarium on oppposite side of the sea lock gate that seperates the fishing harbour of Sutton Pool from the sea. You can get a ferry over the water to Mountbatten to see the view back but this will eat up time as you'll have to wait for ferry back - there is a pub on other side. If not going on boat, walk ahead further (total walk so far only about 1/4 mile) and follow road around below citadel until the full bay of 'Plymouth Sound' becomes visible. Keep following and you will come to the Lighthouse 'Smeatons Tower'. This is the top section of one of the old Eddystone lights (if you look out to sea to the right hand end of the breakwater you should be able to make out a small lump on the horizon with a light at 1 second and then 8 second gaps. Thats the current light about 13 miles from the Hoe). Above the Barbican is the Citadel which you can't miss, the entrance is on the landward side at top of Lambay Hill. Below the lighthouse is a splendid Lido which was recently restored. You can walk back along Armada Way which meets the middle of the Hoe at the obvious War Memorial to Royal Parade.

Now if you have time and aren't too tired an additional extension would be to get bus towards Devonport via Union Street to DURNFORD STREET and STONEHOUSE. I think there might be a city centre shuttle that goes but look on Plymouth CityBus website to check. Its only about 3/4 mile from Royal Parade but save your feet.

On Durnford Street are the fine buildings of the Royal Marines barracks and near the end is the Royal William Victualling Yard. This was the Royal Naval supplies yard supplying everything from Barrels to booze, the latter being a major part. The collection of exemplary buildings are grouped around a quay basin and have been refurbished and converted to upmarket flats by Urban Splash (good images on their website). This is a nationally important site and should be better known throughout the country. Its free to wander around.

After you can walk to the end of the road you approached on until you join the sea again at a small car park and kiosk. On the hill on your right are the remains of some of the many gun emplacements that used to protect the city. The right hand path comes to a dead end at Devils Point where the river is at its narrowest. You get a good view of ships entering the river to access the dockyard upstream which you can see also. On the other side of the river there is Mount Edgecombe with deer parks, follies, gardens, country house and great views back to the Hoe. Theres a passanger ferry that goes from a small slipway off side of Durnford Street, across the River but in a day trip best not as you will probably run out of time for that.

This 2nd part of my proposal involves a walk of no more than 1/2 mile (1/4 down DF Street and 1/4 back to bus stop on Union Street). The first part doing the whole cirle is no more than 3/4 mile.

Hope this is of use and all the best for your visit.

9. Re: Plymouth in one day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, November 30, 2009