We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tarr Steps from London without a car

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
88 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Tarr Steps from London without a car

Will be in London for a week in mid-November. Have always been interested in seeing the Tarr Steps in Exmoor National Park. Can this site be visited from London within a weekend, without a car and depending entirely on public transportation? I am not sure what to expect but would like to think that this might be possible.

Any suggestions or model itineraries would be most welcome.

Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
868 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tarr Steps from London without a car

Hi Eurotraveller,

The best people to tell you this are the people behind this fabulous hotel at Tar Steps www.tarrfarm.co.uk. I'd drop them a mail, as you'd most likely want to build in an overnight stay anyway.

Whether Tar Steps in itself warrants such a long journey (2 hours by train from London to Tiverton, (probably) a bus jourbey from there, or a taxi) really depends on what you are expecting. It is pretty, but no Mount Bromo or Rocky Mountains. Combined with a day's walking and exploring Exmoor it certainly isn't bad. Tar Farm is a lovely place.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
88 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tarr Steps from London without a car

Thanks for the suggestion, TravelHappyEx. I will definitey check in with those folks -- The Tarr Steps have been featured in a number of postings I've viewed over the years, and it seems like a beautiful place to visit--- wish I felt more confident about driving on the "right" side of the road when in the UK -- getting too old to try!!!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,643 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tarr Steps from London without a car

Well, this is a tricky spot to get to by public transport. You can easily get from London to Tiverton or Taunton via train or coach; from there on it, things get harder!

There is a bus running from Minehead to Tiverton that goes within 2km of the reserve and during the summer you can get the Ridler and Sons bus 401 from Bampton to Lynmouth.

There is a nice walk near Tarr Steps here:

timesonline.co.uk/tol/…article6923404.ece

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
24,866 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tarr Steps from London without a car

It is only possible if you hire a taxi from a local town which would be very expensive. It is in the heart of the moors down very narrow winding roads.

Also the time it takes to get from a city to town.

Absoloutely beautiful and a wonderful place to walk. Cream teas too!

If staying in the area you may find one of the safari companies go there.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tarr Steps from London without a car

In July, we traveled to Lynton by train to Barnstaple and then bus to Lynton. To get to the Tarr Steps, we took a 4WD tour with Red Stag Safaris. (See my review on Tripadvisor and there you'll find the contact details as well.) To plan your journey by public transpor,t you could use www.transportdirect.info which I've found very helpful over the years. By the way, seeing the Tarr Steps was a real highlight for me and, while on the safari, we forded the river next to the steps.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
24,866 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tarr Steps from London without a car

That's really great information Mary, I believe many of the safari companies do. Being local you kind of take these things for granted so it is good to hear the impression they make on others. It helps me too when people ask what is to see.

I spent days of my childhood playing there, adulthood eating cream teas! If you walk upstream there is an area of rare butterflies, you are level with the tree canopy and can see the birds and there is a huge, shallow pool with fish jumping and beautiful dragon flies.

Reply to: Tarr Steps from London without a car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Exmoor National Park