We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exeter and region for a day and a half coming from Cotwald

Which Exeter hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY/Westport/Provence
Level Contributor
166 posts
330 reviews
Save Topic
Exeter and region for a day and a half coming from Cotwald

Hello,

We are returning to London for our 2nd trip and have 3 and a half days to see the countryside.

We booked a hotel in Bath for the first two days to see Bath, itself and the Cotswald and we'd like to spend the next day and a 1/2 exploring exeter and the surrounding area. Any suggestions on how to spend this time? A special experience for the third night, perhaps? It is our one chance to see a bit of the country without being in 'hyper mode'…..any suggestions would be so welcome!

Thanks so much

Exeter GB
Level Contributor
635 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exeter and region for a day and a half coming from Cotwald

Although I know this sounds odd coming from someone who lives in Exeter and so wants everyone to visit, but your idea is not one I'd recommend at all unless you enjoy driving on busy roads a lot., You just don't have the time to do justice to the trip..

If you really want to see something of the south coast, you could possibly drive from Bath to, say, Lyme Regis on the Dorset Coast. This would take you 2-3 hours nonstop but you could go via Wells (a lovely cathedral city) or Glastonbury, which has walks up the Tor, the Abbey and an interesting atmosphere. Lyme is an interesting and attractive old coastal town with fossils to hunt for on the local beaches.

The following day you could return to Heathrow (about 3 hours nonstop) and maybe take in Stonehenge on the way or (if you've been there already) visit Thomas Hardy's Dorchester and the huge iron-age hillfort Maiden Castle just outside.

But I must warn you that this is itself a decidedly 'hyper' programme: you'd really need at least a week to do it justice.

So on balance I'd say leave the West Country for another time and maybe wend your way back to Heathrow more gently via, say,Oxford.

NY/Westport/Provence
Level Contributor
166 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exeter and region for a day and a half coming from Cotwald

This is just wonderful. What more could I ask for from a person who knows the region best. I will look at all your suggestions and once again, thank you! May I write to you again if I have some questions?

Best

Elias

Exeter GB
Level Contributor
635 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exeter and region for a day and a half coming from Cotwald

Yes of course but I repeat don't try to do too much or you'll end up seeing less.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
24,918 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exeter and region for a day and a half coming from Cotwald

You don't say what time of year LeT. One and a half days you don't want to have to spend so much time on the roads. Exeter and area is lovely (and so is Exmoor) but it is a lot of driving.

Depending on the time of year have a look at some places nearer where you could relax.like Westonbirt Aboretum visitbristol.co.uk/things-to-do/westonbirt-t… or some of the famous gardens cotswolds.info/gardens/…

Studley Castle and Gardens http://www.sudeleycastle.co.uk/

If you really do want to drive what about Wells which is beautiful and on the Somerset Levels, drop down to Chard on the A37 to my favourite Forde Abbey and gardens at Chard.

You could then either head back on the A303 or as Roger says drop down again and stay in Lyme Regis. See it when you rise the next day, enjoy the rural seaside fresh air, have coffee and then head back to London.

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
868 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exeter and region for a day and a half coming from Cotwald

Contrary to earlier posters, I think a day and a half in and around Exeter after Bath is not too bad an idea at all. And everyone assumes the poster has access to a car. I can't read that in the post.

With or without a car, Exeter can be reached within two hours from Bath, and offers good transport link back to London (Heathrow?).

Exeter itself is becoming an increasingly interesting city to spend time in, and with two very scenic railway lines into the countryside (North West towards Barnstaple and South East to Exmouth), and Dartmoor + Jurassic Coast literally on its doorstep, offers great trips out into the countryside (as requested by poster).

Maybe 'LeTerrible' if you tell us a bit more about your modes of transport, and what your true interests are, we can help you further.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
24,918 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exeter and region for a day and a half coming from Cotwald

I was also thinking about the wonderful Red Coat Tours of Exeter. Free, several different ones and about 2hrs and shows you the facinating bits of the old city tucked away in the new. It was the highlight of my trip.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,235 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exeter and region for a day and a half coming from Cotwald

What time of the year are you proposing to travel. This surely is a big factor before making suggestions.

england
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exeter and region for a day and a half coming from Cotwald

I think people assume a car because they mention the cotswolds, although they could have booked a coach trip.

I like Lyme and often suggest it to tourists but Exeter is also a lovely city and good for a less hyper time. The cathedral is worth a visit for the clock alone, the Wool trail is interesting if you are into history www.exeter.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2962, princesshay has a good mix of shops, you can hire boats on the river or take a stroll then sit on the Quay and people watch. For something a bit different visit the underground passages www.exeter.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2914. If the line is repaired the train ride through Dawlish is beautiful.

If they have a car there are places like dartmoor or killerton costume museum nationaltrust.org.uk/wra-1356328560475/…

Special experience - depends on time of year but that might be more tricky.

NY/Westport/Provence
Level Contributor
166 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Exeter and region for a day and a half coming from Cotwald

Sept. But we have decided to stay in Bath, The Cotswalds and Oxford.

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
868 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Exeter and region for a day and a half coming from Cotwald

You're welcome!

PS it is 'Cotswolds'