We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exeter to Cornwall

Woodstock Ontario
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Exeter to Cornwall

Hello Exeter friends!! Will be visiting family in Ottery St. Mary in May. We have never gone further west than Dartmoor and would like to spend a couple of nights in Cornwall. My husband can't walk long distances, so we are looking for input on how to see some of the smaller towns easily. We don't want to rent a car as we haven't driven on the other side of the road before. Anyone have suggestions about where to go and bus/trains to look at?

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,573 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exeter to Cornwall

I thought from your post on the Cornwall forum you wanted an excusion from Exeter to Cornwall?

If not, then you can easily catch the train from Exeter to anywhere on the mainline, and on the three branch lines in Cornwall.

Where would you like to go? If you think of what you would ike to see and do, then you can be better advised.If you would like a seaside town, then maybe have a look at Looe. Take the train to Liskeard, then change for the Looe branch line.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exeter to Cornwall

Hi there

Annabelle has beaten me to it as I was going to suggest Looe as well. Most of East Looe is flat although there are some narrow and steep back streets but they are easy to avoid and other than the views, there's nothing much up there to see anyway. West Looe is smaller, and is essentially one road that runs from the river bridge all the way around to Hannafore, which overlooks St George's Island. East Looe has plenty of shops, pubs, cafes, and restaurants and from the rail station, it's a short level walk to the centre, no more than a few minutes.

There are buses from Looe to various other places in the nearby area including Polperro, which is a pretty fishing village just four miles to the west. The #572 bus links Looe to Polperro and it runs throughout the day and drops off down in the village centre, which avoids the long walk downhill from the main car park where the buses used to terminate. Alternatively, there are always taxis waiting on the rank in East Looe which is opposite the medical centre.

As Annabelle says, there's a branch line linking Looe to the main London - Penzance line at Liskeard. The 7 or 8 mile rail journey is a spectacle in itself and is one of the most scenic rides in the country. If you wanted to go further afield, there are also branch lines to Newquay, Falmouth and St Ives, trains for these go from St Austell, Truro and St Erth respectively.

Looe

flickr.com/photos/…

Polperro

flickr.com/photos/…

Woodstock Ontario
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exeter to Cornwall

Thank you both so much for the suggestions. The short train ride sounds fabulous!! Sounds like it would nicely meet our needs. So I'll get googling for more :)

4. Re: Exeter to Cornwall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 19, 2014