We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avis - Excess Rip Off!

Edinburgh, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Avis - Excess Rip Off!

A word of warning about Avis car hire at Exeter airport. We arrived last Saturday, having booked a Vauxhall Astra (or equivalent). The car transporter was late, so we were updgraded to a BMW 320d. Great. However, the thing that really irked me (having already paid £250-odd for 8 days' car hire) was that the excess was £850 and to reduce this to £100 was going to cost me £17 per day! I've hired lots of cars over the years and never had an excess this high. Naturally, I told them to 'do one' and luckily nothing happened to the car. Has anyone recommened a car hire company in Exeter?

21. Re: Avis - Excess Rip Off!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 pm, April 04, 2015
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,624 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Avis - Excess Rip Off!

I always use Avis, in Prague, in the Caribbean and never had a problem...so I will keep using them.

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Avis - Excess Rip Off!

"I hired the most basic car and suddenly with all the hidden charges ended up paying £70 pounds"

What charges are "hidden"?

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Avis - Excess Rip Off!

Just got caught myself. Hired an Avis car last year with standard excess of 450 euros, Can live with this! However in the last 12 months they increased this to 1200 euros - I suspect the only reason is because it enables them to then press everyone to take the additional cover with them to reduce the excess. My suggestion was to explore single/annual premium excess policies that you can take out, which covers the excess. The premiums are approximately £30/£40 per year. Well worth while as we were stung for £140 for a 10 day hire period. Not a happy Avis customer - Will not be using them again!

25. Re: Avis - Excess Rip Off!

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,911 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Avis - Excess Rip Off!

Any reason to keep a three-year old post going? Car hire firms charge for excess. And make mistakes. Meanwhile, in other news, it has been found that bears....

27. Re: Avis - Excess Rip Off!

28. Re: Avis - Excess Rip Off!

Edited: 2:05 pm, April 04, 2015
London
Level Contributor
10,172 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Avis - Excess Rip Off!

I sympathise, but did you check the documents that they gave you when you collected the car? That should have alerted you to the additional insurance charge. Do you still have that document?

If you don't return the car full of fuel, Avis UK will charge a full tank. I don't like that policy, but it is set out in their UK documentation.

30. Re: Avis - Excess Rip Off!