We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avis - Excess Rip Off!

Which Exeter hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Avis - Excess Rip Off!

A word of warning about Avis car hire at Exeter airport. We arrived last Saturday, having booked a Vauxhall Astra (or equivalent). The car transporter was late, so we were updgraded to a BMW 320d. Great. However, the thing that really irked me (having already paid £250-odd for 8 days' car hire) was that the excess was £850 and to reduce this to £100 was going to cost me £17 per day! I've hired lots of cars over the years and never had an excess this high. Naturally, I told them to 'do one' and luckily nothing happened to the car. Has anyone recommened a car hire company in Exeter?

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
873 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avis - Excess Rip Off!

Difficult one that WinkyDo, getting an 'upgrade' but being expected to pay for a higher excess for the benefit does seem like a raw deal. It must be an Avis policy though, so don't think you can really blame Exeter for that.

We always recommend practical.co.uk/locations/… to our guests. Have only had positive feedback from people who used them, and their rates seem quite good too.

Edinburgh, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Avis - Excess Rip Off!

Sorry, didn't make it clear that the excess was for the Astra not the BMW. It didn't go up because of the upgrade.

Will check out Practical next time, thanks.

Level Contributor
643 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Avis - Excess Rip Off!

At least they offered you the option of taking it or leaving it so not exactly a "rip-off" just expensive.

Edited: 9:42 am, October 25, 2011
Evesham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avis - Excess Rip Off!

We too had trouble with Avis. Have you ever had to produce the paper bit of a driving licence? We weren't imformed before hand so had to pay an extra £6 for a two second phone call to the DVLA. They knew the number off pat so they must do that little trick daily. Never would use Avis again.

London, United...
Level Contributor
223 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avis - Excess Rip Off!

It isn't just AVIS unfortunately . I've had excesses recently as high as £1200.

What really annoys me is that too many car hirers don't disclose this at the time of booking - which I'm sure they could through their booking systems and websites - so you can't do a fair comparison with the all-up costs. You just have to make an on the spot gamble that the cost to buy down the excess is greater than the risk of an accident.

About time something was done about this - it might not be a rip-off but it's hardly transparent.

London
Level Contributor
9,697 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avis - Excess Rip Off!

Every UK rental company requires you to produce both parts of your licence. This is in the t&c,

South Shields...
Level Contributor
723 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avis - Excess Rip Off!

Thanks for the heads up, I'm needing two days car hire next weekend I would class that as a rip off as they arn't disclosing it till its to late to do anything about it.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,663 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avis - Excess Rip Off!

If you take the time to look, the rental companies' web sites always have a document with the full terms and conditions of rental, including the amounts of excesses for various cars.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
347 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avis - Excess Rip Off!

I travel a fair bit and rent a car 2-3 times a year for a week. I buy a Europe wide insurance policy for a year that covers excess and it costs £49-great value. Easily found if you just google car hire excess insurance

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
603 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avis - Excess Rip Off!

Its not just Avis ... !

We got fed up with paying these rip off excess waiver charges each time we hired a car on Jersey - either with Avis or Europcar.

Hiring a Ford KA with Europcar Jersey for 10 days this year would have cost us £8 per day for their Supercover to include wheel, tyre and mirror damage = £80

We used this company instead to buy excess waiver , to include wheel, tyre and mirror damage for just £21.48 for 10 days !

http://www.moneymaxim.co.uk/car-hire-home

I can recommend them. They are good for Worlwide/Europe travel and will also price on a daily basis.

I'm always banging on about this on the Jersey Forum - people should be aware that they have a choice !