We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

things to do/see in honiton and exeter

Hessle, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
things to do/see in honiton and exeter

Would welcome any information on honiton and exeter, going for 4 days next week, (partner working in area) things to do, places to go and see etc.

Thanks

Wexford, Ireland
Level Contributor
483 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: things to do/see in honiton and exeter

Hi, Honiton is a small market town and having lived there I have to say there is really not much to see! The surrounding countryside is nice with some pleasant country pubs but apart from that - not much else. Exeter on the other hand is great. I love it. If you like shopping then there's plenty to keep you occupied. The redevelopment of Princesshay (it was fairly grotty before) has brought in new businesses. It's a lovely place to wander through especially around the cathedral (depending on what the weather is like of course). Good places to eat - lots of different cuisine.

If you don't like shopping or you fancy some fresh air then you could head for the seaside. Sidmouth is good and Budleigh Salterton is a lovely place for a stroll.

Depends what you like doing really as there are castles, parks etc to visit as well. There are lots of lovely places around Exeter and I've lived in quite of few of them! If I ever move back to the UK (not likely!) then it will be to Devon.

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: things to do/see in honiton and exeter

Honiton is quite well known for lace and I'm guessing it's got a museum about it.

Other than that I'd opt for Exeter and go on the free guided walks offered by the red guides opposite the Abode hotel/cathedral. If the weather is fine it's nice to stroll around the Quay and then walk along the canal to the Double Locks pub. You could also get a bus (or train to Topsham) a pretty village on the banks of the River Exe.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,012 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: things to do/see in honiton and exeter

I was in Exeter last week (and also used to live there). Things to do for first-time visitors: Exeter Cathedral and Cathedral Green, Rougemont Gardens, City walls, Maritime Museum, Exeter Quay, Parliament Street (narrowest street, just off the High St opposite Dingles), Royal Albert Memorial Museum, Exeter Guildhall. Don't miss the Tudor house 'The House that Moved'.

Also the Underground Passages if they are re-opened (they were closed for the Princesshay redevlopment I believe).

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
484 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: things to do/see in honiton and exeter

Unfortunately the museum is shut for quite some time for a complete refit. If you like to have a wonder round gardens, head for Bicton which is on the road between Newton poppleford and Budleigh Salterton. You could easily spend half a day there or longer. Another very pleasant walk is along the River Otter between BS and Otterton.

If you like wandering around local towns / villages, then Topsham, Colyton, Beer and Lyme Regis would be favourite.

If animals are your thing, try the Donkey Sanctuary near Sidmouth.

The best beach is probably Exmouth, though Exmouth, BS and Sidmouth will be full of tourists.

5. Re: things to do/see in honiton and exeter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 pm, October 07, 2009