We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Totnes from Plymouth airport

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
151 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Totnes from Plymouth airport

I am in the first planning stages of a trip to England next summer and was wondering if the route I was able to find is the best way to get to Totnes in Devon. I am thinking of flying from the Gatwick airport in London into Plymouth, taking a cab to the train station in Plymouth, and then taking the train to Totnes. If possible, I would like to rent a car in Totnes to get to our final destination (Harberton.) Does this sound like the most efficient way to get there or am I completely off base. Thank you in advance for any information!

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Totnes from Plymouth airport

vhardima: If time is not a consideration, why not just take the train from Gatwick to Totnes? You'd have to change at Reading and the train trip would be about four hours, but you could spend that time catching up on sleep (I always find it much easier to nap on a train vs. plane) or just taking in the scenery.

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
151 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Totnes from Plymouth airport

Thank you for the suggestion. As I looked more into it I also came to the conclusion that taking a train would be much more convenient. I am glad to have another opinion that this is a better route. Thank you again!

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Totnes from Plymouth airport

Vhardima: You are quite welcome. I hope you plan to spend some time in Totnes as it's a very picturesque town, and has a mottte and bailey castle.

devon uk
Level Contributor
112 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Totnes from Plymouth airport

Fully agree - take the train. Its a good service. If you fly to Plymouth you will be zig zagging back . The train is also a good way to see the countryside

Devon, England
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Totnes from Plymouth airport

Definately get the train it is much cheaper, then a taxi to Harberton. Both Harberton and Totnes are great, but if you're staying in the area a while based at Harberton, it might be easier to rent a car from Totnes, as it is not very easy to get from Harberton to anywhere without a car. there is a bus but it is not all that frequent. Just a suggestion!