We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

somerset,devon or cornwall??please help me pick!

lancashire
Level Contributor
51 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
somerset,devon or cornwall??please help me pick!

looking to go for 5 days in august to a caravan park,i have no idea which area to pick,burnham on sea in somerset looks nice but looks a bit rough?!

torbay,torquay or devon?

or loking at looe bay,st minver,newquay cornwall?

we want beaches,a seaside town/resort shops etc as we like walking out with the kids age 4 and 8 months.any help be greatly appreciated.we are also travelling from lancashire so i know it takes about 6 hours to get to cornwall so maybe somerset higher up may cut journey time down which id prefer.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,471 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: somerset,devon or cornwall??please help me pick!

I would definitely give Burnham on Sea a miss. Probably one of the most depressing places in the country.

You can';t really go to far wrong in Devon or Cornwall. I've stayed at Salcombe Regis campsite near Sidmouth which was very pleasant, and it's close to the Donkey Sanctuary for the kids, and at a campsite just outside of Shaldon (next to Teignmouth whose name escapes me but it is a very nice area and close to Torquay etc.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,676 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: somerset,devon or cornwall??please help me pick!

I'd agree, avoid Burnham-on-Sea which is both rough and depressing. Weston-Super-Mere is more pleasant if you fancy that area or otherwise there are lots of lovely places in Devon (Woolacombe, Croyde, Mortehoe, Teignmouth, Ilfracombe)

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: somerset,devon or cornwall??please help me pick!

Another "no" for Burnham.

Cornwall tends to be extremely busy in August - can recommend Sidmouth area and donkey santuary although you might want to avoid the folk festival week. Exmouth is nice but be warned that the caravan park at Devon Cliffs is huge.

We have just returned from Westward Ho which has a lot of caravans and plenty of low key things to entertain young families.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,443 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: somerset,devon or cornwall??please help me pick!

Walking out to shops and having a lovely beach as well narrows it down and the fact that it is the school holidays and height of the season.

Woolacombe if the weather is nice but not much in the way of shops. However it is a short hop to Combe Martin with the Dinosaur Park which is great, Ilfracombe with boat trips, Lynmouth with a cliff railway and lovely river walks. There are some good caravan parks too.

Somerset is lovely, that's why I live there, with some great caravan parks set in beautiful places but nothing in the way of shops. Blue Anchor, St Audries & Watchet caravan parks in country with a beach and nearby are the Tropiquaria wildlife & andventure park, wonderful for children & Dunster with it's castle and lots of little shops like a chocolate shop and fudge shop in cobbled streets. Not far from Minehead which will be busy in town then. There is the Exmoor Pony Centre too on the moor.

Minehead has a lovely sandy beach and has shops but no caravan park as such. It has 2 caravan sites for tourers.

All are about 40mins from the motorway.

Do you need somewhere that has both town and caravan park together?

Edited: 4:47 pm, April 18, 2013
Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,730 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: somerset,devon or cornwall??please help me pick!

Hello! Sue hasn't mentioned the West Somerset Railway which runs directly behind the caravan site at Blue Anchor, most children love watching the steam trains

lancashire
Level Contributor
51 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: somerset,devon or cornwall??please help me pick!

hi,we eventually went for holiday resort unity in brean sands? it looks great for kids theres so much going on on site and not far from weston supermare,for £60 for 5 days with sun holidays it isn't bad is it!!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: somerset,devon or cornwall??please help me pick!

HI

The town of Looe in Cornwall would be ideal as it offers the type of holiday you are describing you are looking for

looe has a lovely safe beach just a couple on mins walk from the shops in the town it has a nice harbour with boat trips, etc. the pretty fishing village polperro is about 2 miles away from looe there is also a beach at talland bay which is about a mile outside of looe

There is a wide choice of self catering in and around looe I have stayed at looe bay before its about a mile or so outside of looe and is a good site for young children it has modern facility's swimming pools children's entertainment bar games rooms etc..

I have also stayed at st minver on the north Cornish cost st minver its about 9 miles away from padstow and is also a nice area for families with young children

Cornwall is good for days out as it does not take very long to reach the other areas of Cornwall by car.

Regards Sue

8. Re: somerset,devon or cornwall??please help me pick!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 30, 2014