We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to start?

Preston
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Where to start?

Hello :) my husband and I are planning to stay in the UK for our summer holiday this year. We're looking at a week in Devon/Cornwall towards the end of June. We're driving from up north so I think we'll probably stick with Devon as it's a bit closer but we don't really know where to start. We're after somewhere quiet and relaxing with a nice beach, plenty of places to eat and drink within walking distance and maybe a few local attractions in case the weather's bad or we get fed up of going to the beach. Is the weather usually good in June? Thanks in advance :)

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,767 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to start?

You could look at Westward Ho - there is an amazing beach and plenty of accomodation. Lots to do nearby and several pubs and restaurants you can walk to.

There are some new appartments right on the beach which have great views out to sea.

The weather - who knows!

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to start?

If it's peace and quiet, consider Lower Thornton Farm, at Kenn, just outside Exeter. It's reviewed on TA. It's quite a way off the beaten track, and yet all major routes are only 2-3 miles away. We've been using it for hols for some years now.

Search for Kenn, Devon on Google Maps and you'll see that the A38 and A380 for south west Devon, A30 for central Devon and East, M5 north and A3052 for East Devon are all close.

For things to do, take a look at http://www.lotstodo.co.uk/.

There's one pub in Kenn, we tend to go to Exeter or some of the surrounding villages to eat.

St Albans
Level Contributor
170 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to start?

I'd have to say that Westward Ho is not the most attractive place in Devon. Having walked the Coast Path from Minehead to Bude in stages over the last few years I'd recommend Lynmouth and Bideford as attractive bases, while if you prefer south Devon you can't beat South Hams - classic English countryside with loads of thatched cottages, lovely pubs, and some fabulous beaches. Kingsbridge is a nice town, though I'm not sure about hotels - we've always rented houses down there. If you want to push the boat out a bit Burgh Island is hard to beat, though a little cut off (literally - you have to go on a special tractor at high tide)

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,835 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to start?

I would suggest North Devon tends to be quieter in June than South Devon. I am not a massive Westward Ho! fan myself and it does tend to get busy n the summer months. I would suggest you might want to look at either Mortehoe or Croyde.

Mortehoe is not on a beach itself but is within five mins of Woolacombe and walking distance of the by-foot only Rockham beach which is secluded and beautiful. It has three nice pubs for food too.

Croyde gets packed over July/Aug but is great outside hose months. The beach us golden and glorious and you have coastal walks to Baggy Point and Saunton Sands nearby.

North Devon is also great for non- beach things with Barnstaple (shopping, market, cinema, swimming pool, museum), Arlington Court, Lynton & Lynmouth and much more.

The weather can be an issue! Devon was wet wet wet this June but also can be sunny and warm in June - no telling ahead I m afraid (wish there was!)

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to start?

Bigbury on Sea/Burgh island wins for me every time, due to the spectacular setting, although it might be a bit too quiet in terms of places to eat and drink for you.

Likewise Hope Cove - the setting is great and the pub is good : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hope_Cove

Mike

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to start?

All of which goes to prove that somewhat open-ended questions will attract a whole range of suggestions from people who are promoting what they like! :-)

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,913 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to start?

I'd go for Lynmouth as it is only one week. It is beautiful, wonderful walks, wildlife, loads of variety to eat, boat trips and a little 5* cinema showing the latest films. Arlington Court & similar are nearby for wet too & some sandy beaches around Woolacombe.

Ilfracombe nearby has a theater and Victorian Tunnels for bathing, boat leave for Lundy Island from there too & local coastal trips.

Preston
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to start?

Thank you all for your replies! I hadn't realised quite how open ended my question was - I thought I'd been quite specific haha!

To narrow it down a bit, I suppose we're looking for a bit of a seaside 'resort', but somewhere more relaxing (and a little cleaner) than boozy Blackpool! Our main focus is to be within walking distance of a nice beach as we're hoping to spend most of our time there, but I know how unpredictable the weather can be, so somewhere with plenty of other stuff to do nearby would be ideal (we would be happy to drive 20 minutes or so for other attractions if need be).

We went to Scarbrough last spring which was lovely, but we thought we'd have a batter chance of catching a bit of sun down south. We'd also be staying a week so we'd need a bit of variety when it comes to cafes/bars/pubs/restaurants.

We like sight seeing (open bus tours, architecture and a bit of history), arcades, theme parks, etc. Maybe go to the cinema/theatre one evening and a boat trip one day? We don't want an action packed holiday, but somewhere we can go out and do something different if we choose to (or the weather forces us to!)

I've been looking at self catering apartments/cottages/static caravans but the places mean nothing to me so I'm just trying to narrow it down a bit. I'll make a start on Burgh Island and places near Woolacombe for now, although I've a feeling they may be over our budget! :) Thanks again!

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,767 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to start?

Burgh Island very expensive!

The area with the most things to do would be Torbay.

There are quite a few caravan parks around Paignton which would be cheaper.

Dawlish Warren is cheap and cheerful and has good rail links to other places.

Edited: 11:33 am, January 08, 2013
Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,913 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to start?

Woolacombe is lovely but not a resort by any stretch of the imagination. Almost no shops, cafes or other entertainment unless you stay on one of the larger caravan sites. On the up side they do the £9 holidays through the newspaper vouchers.