We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Derbyshire

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
London to Derbyshire

Hello,

I am planning a trip to England in early October. I was wondering what was the fastest way to get to Derbyshire from London. I would prefere the train. And how many hours is it ?....is it really expensive?

thank you,

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Derbyshire

Depends where in Derbyshire you want to go.

Derby itself is about 1.75 hours by the fastest trains from London St Pancras. For details see www.nationalrail.co.uk. The fare structures are a complete mystery to most people, including those who use the trains!

A couple of other places in Derbyshire reachable by train are Matlock and Chesterfield.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,236 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Derbyshire

Not trying to be nosy but please do let us know a little more of your plans as we may actaully have better suggestions of routes or transportation ideas dependent on where and what you will be doing.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Derbyshire

Adam is right - more details will enable us to give better help.

Trains are quite good and fast to Derby, Chesterfield and Sheffield. At present travelling at 10 am in the first week in October thetrainline.com has returns to Chesterfield at 53 pounds and singles at 11.50, so 2 singles would be cheapest. The way this site works, put in some dates and times, ask for a return, check the return prices then it will let you look at the single fare prices. As you get closer the prices go up, best to book over 14 days in advance if you can. You can usually get Fasttickets on the internet which are held in a machine at your departure station and you get them with your credit card and a special code.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,452 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Derbyshire

The Derbyshire Public Transportation page on Trip Advisor may also help you (although I may be a little biased 'cause I wrote it !). You can find it at: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186248-c9162/Derbysh…

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Derbyshire

Phil, how do you do this links thing in posts and pages ?

Is it as simple as copy and paste - it had better be if I'm going to manage it !

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,452 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Derbyshire

Yes - simply copy the link from another web page and paste it into the message box.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Derbyshire

Thanks Phil. I like the transport page and hope it answers some more of Jalinne's questions.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
5 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Derbyshire

Try www.midlandmainline.com to look for ticket prices (this is the company that operates the service)

Matlock, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London to Derbyshire

Really depends where you're going to. If its the north of the county, like Buxton or the Peak District. Then you're probably best travelling from Euston to Manchester and then taking the Buxton train.

10. Re: London to Derbyshire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, August 19, 2009