We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family pub/restaurant between Buxton and Stockport

Ipswich, England...
Level Contributor
427 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Family pub/restaurant between Buxton and Stockport

Looking for somewhere to celebrate a birthday in July with family. There will be 2 boys, age 8 and 6, a young baby, parents, grandparents and a great grandmother. We're hoping it will be Sunday lunch somewhere between Buxton, where some will be on holiday, and Stockport, where others live. Including the children, there will be 12 of us.

Ant suggestions will be much appreciated.

Edited: 1:57 pm, March 06, 2014
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,291 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family pub/restaurant between Buxton and Stockport

Hello,

Perhaps this "venue" which is in a lovely setting and a convenient meeting place with all facilities you need for the family travelling from both Stockport and Buxton:-

http://www.old-hall-inn.co.uk/

Tell them on booking it's a celebratory family meal.

Regards

Edited: 4:01 pm, March 06, 2014
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family pub/restaurant between Buxton and Stockport

What a coincidence in also trying to find a family pub with play area in the same remit. Did you find anywhere x

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
62 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family pub/restaurant between Buxton and Stockport

It depends what exactly you want.

Cheap & cheerful - chain /carvery - the Dog & Partridge in High Lane or the Fallow deer in Chapel en le frith.

The Rams Head in Disley - not eaten there for ages so can't say what it's like.

I'm just thinking some where half way ish on the main road for ease, but the Sportsman in Strines or The Spread Eagle in Romiley are supposed to be nice.

Ipswich, England...
Level Contributor
427 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family pub/restaurant between Buxton and Stockport

Thank you AuntyCat. A carvery is probably the best option for a family with 5&7 year olds as well as members in 30's, 60's and 80's.

I'll look into your suggestions.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
62 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family pub/restaurant between Buxton and Stockport

The D & P is a Crown I think. It does get busy at weekends but we have always enjoyed it for the price.

It's also close to Lyme Park (NT) if you want to walk it off or build up your appetite. The kids will love the park there.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
7,651 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family pub/restaurant between Buxton and Stockport

Definitely consider Red Lion Inn in High Lane; book in advance and mention the special celebration.

http://www.redlionhighlane.co.uk/

The Old Hall suggestion in post no 1 is a good idea & location. (I must go there again soon; not been for a couple of decades).

Ipswich, England...
Level Contributor
427 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family pub/restaurant between Buxton and Stockport

Just looked at the Red Lion web site and it looks promising. I'll get my sister-in-law to check it out.

Thanks KWUK

8. Re: Family pub/restaurant between Buxton and Stockport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 29, 2015