We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East Midlands Airport Parking charges

Rotherham, England
Level Contributor
5 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
East Midlands Airport Parking charges

Does anyone else feel "stung" by EMA parking charges now that the airport has a monopoly?

My booking for 8 days in June cost £24.99, 10 days in August £30.99 (Booked a few weeks ago) & now 8 days in September £59.99!

61 replies to this topic
middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,563 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East Midlands Airport Parking charges

Not sure what you mean by a monopoly - do the airport own all the car parks around the airport now? It can be cheaper to use a hotel the night before your flight and leave your car in their car park. Also remember that EMA has excellent bus links so there may be a way of parking away from the airport and using a bus link. But yes, it is a rip off!

East Midlands Airport is in Leicestershire, not Derbyshire.

Rotherham, England
Level Contributor
5 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: East Midlands Airport Parking charges

EMA control all on-site parking. Airparks at Donington Park & Prestige parking have both gone.

Sorry about the location but previous posts were in "Derbyshire" and it is my first one. I found it not easy to do.

EMA used to be our 'local' (Rotherham) friendly airport, now it's just a branch of Manchester airport.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,563 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: East Midlands Airport Parking charges

I guess you do have Robin Hood nearer now, and Leeds/Bradford and even Humberside. East Midlands Airport has lost a lot of customers recently with the demise of British Midland, and may be trying to make up some lost revenue. Don't worry about the Leicestershire thing. What with a Derby post code and once being known as "Nottingham East Midlands" it's not surprising there is confusion. Only yesterday someone asked me if EMA was in Nottinghamshie or Derbyshire!!

Rotherham, England
Level Contributor
5 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: East Midlands Airport Parking charges

Can I Edit my post into Leicestershire or is it stuck in Derbyshire forever?

We have a place in Nice so we can only go where the flights are. I miss bmibaby but jet2 aren't bad. They fly from Manchester & Leeds/Bradford but neither of these is easy to get to from South Yorks although they are about the same distance.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: East Midlands Airport Parking charges

I expect that your post could be reassigned, but it is not something you can do yourself.

Don't worry, posts are put in the wrong place 1% of the time and everyone deals with it.

You could copy the post into Leicestershire if you like but for this one I expect the answerw will be much the same.

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: East Midlands Airport Parking charges

£69 for fifteen days (booked in advance). Great value in my opinion. Literally a five minute walk to the terminal (with bags and pushchair).

I don't feel stung this year and I didn't feel stung last year.

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: East Midlands Airport Parking charges

I feel totally let down too, went to Palma for 3 nights and paid £59.99 which was the cheapest Jetpark Plus, I booked online having looked at several sites. Was really not happy paying the inflated price but too late to make other arrangements.

When leaving Jetpark Plus the ticket machine did not recognise my ticket and reqested I pay £35, should this be what I should have charged had I not booked and just turned up? My ticket was eventually recognised so able to exit but will not be rushing back.

Fortunately we have several airports as close to us, thank goodness.

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: East Midlands Airport Parking charges

My advice is to avoid parking at EMA if at all possible. Recently our flight to Gran Canaria was cancelled courtesy of striking French air traffic controllers.

Since we were unable to use our pre-booked parking with Airparks we have attempted to obtain a refund.

Airparks aka Holiday Extras say they are just agents and cannot help. APCOA the operators will not make refunds.

So we are stuck, not only has our holiday been ruined by the selfish French but also EMA car park authorities have climbed onto the bandwagon.

London, England...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: East Midlands Airport Parking charges

Hi All,

As an employee for a large airport parking company i can understand some of your frustrations. Some points though are unmovable.

Unfortunately prices do go up at peak periods and school summer holidays are the absolute peak of the year. So costs are higher at that period. Best advice, book as early as possible, you will genuinely save lots of cash.

Never book just before you leave or expect to pay a lot more, most of our customers purchase within the month of departure, we urge our customers to purchase as early as possible as you will save those pennies for your holiday, not parking.

On-site parking is always expensive, it is owned by the airport, and it is a cash cow product for them. That level of convenience of being extra close to the terminal can command a premium price, and many people are happy to pay for it.

If you want to save look at off site parking, this is usually a lot cheaper as it is further away, but most services have very regular transfers. You can book meet and greet parking if you want convenience of parking outside the terminal, this is more expensive than park and ride but is usually cheaper than on-site parking.

The key message, always book as early as possible!

Save Reply
10. Re: East Midlands Airport Parking charges

I paid £97 to park at EMA for eleven days (paid by credit card) when booked. On return from holiday inserted ticket at exit barrier and machine asked for £96.50, paid again thinking original payment had not been taken but when home checked credit card and found I had paid TWICE (eleven days had cost £194.00!) for the last month I have been trying to get a refund what a joke cannot get any sense out of anyone, was told on 9th July 2013 I would have refund within 3 to 4 working days but it has not happened and now cannot get to speak to anyone (the number I was given just goes unanswered 01332 812082) cannot even get an address to write to, have been emailing customer services which is based at Manchester Airport but not getting any help from there either. Anyone had any similar problems? Don't know what to do next!

Reply to: East Midlands Airport Parking charges
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Derbyshire
Recent Conversations