We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Suggestions

London, Ontario...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary Suggestions

Hello:

I am flying into Manchester and want to head out of the city upon arrival to a smaller town. I am looking for somewhere scenic to walk in the Peak District. Can you please recommend a smaller town to stay in?

I want to see Chatsworth Hall and Eyam before heading on to the Yorkshire Dales.

I will not have a car, and am hoping to stay in hostels.

Thankyou

Derby
Level Contributor
171 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

I would suggest Bxton would make a good base although I believe the hostel at Hartington is excellent. Bakewell is also worth considering.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

Both good suggestions, Buxton is on the railway though for Hartington you would probably need to change buses. Also by rail you can get to Edale which I think has a hostel as well as a choice of riverside or severe walking.

Hathersage is also on the railway, both have service direct from the airport I think..

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,975 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

To be honest, if you are reliant on public transport and want to visit Chatsworth and Eyam, then Edale and Hartington are not good places to base yourself. Getting from Hathersage to Chatsworth by bus is a bit of a pain as well.

Buxton does not have a youth hostel in the town itself - the nearest ones are in isolated locations outside the town.

Eyam has its own Youth Hostel and is on a bus route from Buxton and some buses from there go close to Chatsworth. However Eyam is only a village and there is not much to do there in the evening.

I can't help wondering if you would be better off looking for a reasonably priced B&B rather than a Hostel - Bakewell has quite a few of these and there is a direct bus from Manchester approximately every 3 hours.

Phil-the-Bus

Buxton

Hathersage, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

How about you stay in Hathersage, Hope or Castleton, they are all very nice villages on the railway (2 of them) with lots of hotels and B and Bs; and I also think there is a hostel in nearby Edale ,which is also on the railway. from Manchester/ Liverpool to Sheffield/Doncaster

Edited: 3:48 pm, March 19, 2013
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,847 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

Hi sealegs,

Google YHA and you will get a full list of youth hostels in whatever area you want. Belive it or not the area you want for Eyam and Chatsworth is "East Midlands"!

There are hostels in Edale and Castleton both of which are within a days walk from Eyam where there is also a hostel. The hostels in Castleton and Eyam are both architectually worth a visit.

You could also google camping barns or just hostels. to get independent hostels.

If you decide to walk to Eyam from Edale or Castleton let me know and I can give you a good route!

Enjoy your time.

Bob

6. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 21, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Derbyshire
Recent Conversations