We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kegworth - what to do recommendations

Worcester
Level Contributor
350 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Kegworth - what to do recommendations

hi

we (my husband adn I) are celebrating my birthday in Kegworth rather than NY!!

i know

so as the weather is not looking to good at the mo, can anyone suggest what we could do in the surrounding area ?

We are dining at the hotel Friday night so if there are any famous chefs in the area, michelin type eateries as a treat please for Saturday night.

Please help my weekend be memorable...

UK
Level Contributor
438 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kegworth - what to do recommendations

Hi chin0.. There are no restaurants in the immediate vicinity of Kegworth that actually fit the bill, Sat Baines has a restaurant in Nottingham but that's probably going to be quite a drive which you probably don't want on a special night out... out of curiosity, what made you choose Kegworth ??

UK
Level Contributor
438 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kegworth - what to do recommendations

Best recommendation from me would be the Royal Oak in Long Whatton, a 'gastro' type pub (for want of a better description!) and not far from Kegworth, also the Nag's Head in Castle Donington (gastro-pub type again) or for Italian Numero Duo, also in Castle Donington.

Edited: 9:16 am, November 22, 2012
Essex
Level Contributor
27,034 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kegworth - what to do recommendations

I had a look on Viamichelin for you to see what the online Michelin guide came up with, you can have a look at it yourself, and see if anything appeals:

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

The nearest 'best' place I could find (designated a 'comfortable restaurant' with 2 crossed knives/forks) is this one:

http://www.thewoodhouse.co.uk/index2.htm

Here's a link to TA Reviews of the place:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g190776-…

Here is some info I found on-line about the Chef:

…greatbritishlife.co.uk/article/…

This is not in any way shape or form a personal recommendation. However it is a little bit of help as a Birthday Present from me! The place may not suit you, but wherever you go, I hope you have a lovely time EW!

Essex
Level Contributor
27,034 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kegworth - what to do recommendations

The Royal Oak that ontourUK mentions above, is also in the online Michelin guide, designated 'traditional pub with food'! Here is their website:

http://www.theroyaloaklongwhatton.co.uk/

Bon anniversaire! EW

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,471 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kegworth - what to do recommendations

Despite haeing a Derby post code, Kegworth is actually in Leicestershire, as are many similar places in the area such as Castle Donongton and East Midlands airport. The woodhouse recommendation is in Woodhouse Eaves about 4 miles from Loughborough.

There are no Michelin star restaurants in the area and you would be better to eat in a hotel, either the one you are staying in or one of the many in the area, such as the Priest House in Castle Donington or the very new Radisson Blu at East Midlands airport

Worcester
Level Contributor
350 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kegworth - what to do recommendations

thanks for these ideas, the reason for Kegworth was that my husband wanted that area as we have a mate with a pub in Silbey, so wanting to somewhere near?

it was a Great little breaks offer too....

strange place !!?

and what about things to do in the area if the weather is pants??

UK
Level Contributor
438 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kegworth - what to do recommendations

chin0... where is Silbey?? do you mean Sileby? if so, its still a long-ish way from Kegworth. that said, if it IS Sileby, then the White Swan pub in Sileby is your best choice. Tthere are 2 distinct dining areas: either in the main pub room (comfy enough) or in the 'dining room' which is more like a proper restaurant set-up , tablecloths, etc. and a nice feature of the room is that there are tons of books to browse through while waiting for your courses or over the coffee at the end of your meal. You can have great fun with the joke books !!

Essex
Level Contributor
27,034 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kegworth - what to do recommendations

http://www.kegworthvillage.com/history/

www.kegworthhouse.co.uk/places-to-visit.php…

aboutmyarea.co.uk/Derbyshire/…Places-to-Visit

tripadvisor.co.uk/QuickGuide-g499587-Kegwort…

Worcester
Level Contributor
350 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kegworth - what to do recommendations

OntourUK I think it is called the puffin billy or something like that - we would only pop over for lunch anyway.

quite the look of The Woodhouse :-) only 11 miles so could taxi?

are the restuarants in Kegworth worth walking too? the Indian??

UK
Level Contributor
438 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kegworth - what to do recommendations

we went to the Woodhouse about 3 weeks ago and would recommend it. One thing, if you have the food 'as is' it's very good... what i mean is, one of our party who doesn't take well to 'fancy' food asked for the steak plain rather than with all its accompaniments ( like mushroom ketchup and other strange-sounding things) and they did not enjoy it at all whereas i had it as it comes and it was delicious.