We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling from London to Derbyshire

Staunton, Virginia
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
traveling from London to Derbyshire

Our family would like to travel to the area around Derbyshire from London--preferably leaving on Tuesday, Nov. 27 and coming back on Nov. 29. We would like to see several places in that region. What do you suggest? We don't want to drive from London but would be willing to try renting a car and driving in the countryside. We would need transport to and from London and places to stay at night.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,478 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: traveling from London to Derbyshire

If you want 'pretty pretty' countryside, go to the Cotswolds.

If you want fantastic wild scenery (and possibly wild weather) go to the Peak District.

Both areas are lovely but in different ways.

For me, the Peak District wins hands down in all kinds of weather and at all times of day and night!

Staunton, Virginia
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: traveling from London to Derbyshire

I have another question--not sure if this is best place to ask.

Who gives best deal on unlimited train passes in England? There will be 4 of us traveling from a London home base between Nov. 21 and 29, two adults and two young adults, ages 21 and 25. We would probably make several day trips and the one longer one to Peaks district.

I have checked into BritRail already. We want to maintain some flexibility and not have to book each trip so far in advance.

Thanks so much for your wonderful help to this point!!

Essex
Level Contributor
27,478 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: traveling from London to Derbyshire

Hmmn, I'm not the best on 'public transport' apart from local to home!! I'm a bit of a 'car' girl really (or M-bike on a good day!)

It is worth your while doing a forum search (see search bar in grey box above your header post, or below the reply text-box).

IIRC there are many posts from more reliable advisors than I which tend to suggest a Britrail Pass is, in fact a waste of money and that you would fare better booking individual journeys aheand of time...

There is a TA member called 'railtraveller65' whose knowledge on the subject is excellent - no surprise with that moniker, eh! It is worth sending him a PM.

Or have a look at this website:

http://www.seat61.com/UK-train-travel.htm

Edited: 9:59 am, October 20, 2012
Staunton, Virginia
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: traveling from London to Derbyshire

Thank you!

Essex
Level Contributor
27,478 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: traveling from London to Derbyshire

Actually, I PM'd railtraveller for you, so with luck he will be along soon!

Staunton, Virginia
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: traveling from London to Derbyshire

Thank you--I love this tripadvisor website!!

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: traveling from London to Derbyshire

I think it very unlikely that the Britrail pass wood be worthwhile for what is essenially a single return trip of a couple of hours each way. In can work better than its equialent in many European countries because we have no actual requirement for seat reservations on long distance trains, but to work out cheaper than buying point to point tickets you would really need to be making several much longer journeys. As has been said the lowest fares for non-local rail travel will be obtained by booking as soon as possible after the booking window opens 90 days before travel. But even if only booking a day or so before at the station you can make savings, particularly if you travel outside peak hours.

As to where to stay in the Peak District, there is no actual network of rail lines in the area. There is a line from Derby to Matlock which is easy to reach from London and would be a good base from which to drive around the area, but unfortunately the linedoes not now continue on to Buxton which would have to be reached via Manchester.

At that time of year, personally, I would rather stay in s a town, even a small one, than in a very rurual area because it will get dark by late afternoon and there will be more choice of places to eat, etc.,

18. Re: traveling from London to Derbyshire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, December 15, 2013