We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bakwell and surrounding areas - Day out ideas please

Leeds,UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bakwell and surrounding areas - Day out ideas please

Hello There

I'm planning to take my mum-in-law on a day trip to Bakewell this friday. It's one of her favourite places and we usually just feed the ducks and eat bakwell tarts!

Can anyone advise of something a little different to do either in Bakewell or surrounding areas? Are there any local easter events happening, craft /food markets maybe or somewhere lovely to eat/get afternoon tea? Maybe there's an interesting village near-by to break the day up a bit? We stumbled across Eayme, last time we visited and thought this was an amazing find, something similar would be brilliant.

She's in her late 70's so nothing too strenuous although she's actually very fit and able. I'll be travelling from Leeds and collecting her in Rotherham.

Hope you can help

:)

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bakwell and surrounding areas - Day out ideas please

Buxton? Chatsworth? Or, a smaller house, Haddon Hall?

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,575 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bakwell and surrounding areas - Day out ideas please

The only thing I can see in Bakewell this Friday is a craft fare - see visitpeakdistrict.com/events/… .

As for pretty villages, you could check out Ashford in the Water, then drive towards Tideswell to check out the view at Monsal Head. I would normally also recommend Edensor on the edge of Chatsworth, but on Good Friday the whole area will be heaving with Tourists and it will be difficult to park.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
555 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bakwell and surrounding areas - Day out ideas please

Another vote for Ashford in the Water; a really lovely village no more than a mile or so out of Bakewell; just off the A6 heading north towards Buxton. There's also Cromford, with its famous first water-powered cotton spinning mill. Two other possibilities: Wirksworth, a quirky little town not far from Cromford, and Winster, another classic Peak District village.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,575 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bakwell and surrounding areas - Day out ideas please

I would avoid travelling from Bakewell to Cromford / Wirksworth on a bank holiday as the Matlock Bath area is usually very congested.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,567 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bakwell and surrounding areas - Day out ideas please

Yet another vote for Ashford in the Water ----- a charming little village.

Please remember they are Bakewell PUDDINGS not tarts !!

Graham

Sheffield, United...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Bakwell and surrounding areas - Day out ideas please

Sorry it's a little late for your day out with your mum-in-law but the suggestion may help others planning a visit to Bakewell...

Bakewell Old House Museum is a great little fiind! They have local artefacts as well as Tudor and Victorian displays. Great place to visit! It's just behind the church, up the hill from the town centre.

Leeds,UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bakwell and surrounding areas - Day out ideas please

Thanks for all suggestions. Our trip was cust short, but we did visit the craft fayre in bakewell and we did a quick visit to Ashford in the Water- thanks for this - it was lovely and we never would have thought without your suggestions.

8. Re: Bakwell and surrounding areas - Day out ideas please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, October 30, 2012