We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on a couple of days in Tintagel

Which Tintagel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on a couple of days in Tintagel

Hi, I'm visiting Tintagel (Treknow) later this year with my family - inc. kids of 14 and 12., as part of a tour of Devon/Cornwall. I'm looking for tips on recommended restaurants/places to eat of an evening (happy to consider any in Boscatle or other places nearby if it's worth the car journey); decent pubs that wouldn't mind the (well-behaved) kids; and anything worth sight-seeing doing during the days. All help gratefully received! John L

Tintagel,Cornwall
Level Contributor
741 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on a couple of days in Tintagel

Treknow is a little distance from Tintagel but if you like walking no problem otherwise you will need your car.

The Mill House Inn at Trebarwith is down hill from you (and a long walk back up)! and has a good reputation also The Port William at Trebarwith Strand has a superb view and a great place to watch the sunset from their patio overlooking the beach.

All the pubs in Tintagel do food and all compete with each other which keeps standards up and prices down (to a point)!

Don't be fooled by HOME COOKED signs, it is not the same as HOME MADE!!!

All do Sunday carveries and are good value and popular even with the locals.

The Cornishman has very nice gardens and if sunny a great place for a meal and a pint.

As for things to do have a look at www.tintagelweb.co.uk

Edited: 3:44 am, March 13, 2012
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
915 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on a couple of days in Tintagel

Just to second the recommendation for the Port William - what a stunning setting!

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
7,818 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on a couple of days in Tintagel

I'd throw a vote for the Cobweb Inn in Boscastle.....thats my regular haunt when Im in the area. The Wellington Hotel is good too, but the Cobweb always calls me back. Since we normally stay up at Marhamchurch, its worth the journey - at least to me.

Ive seen kids in there plenty of times - and indeed been in there many moons ago as a kid - and they have an eating area out of the way of the main bustle if you want. Menus are online on their site here

http://www.cobwebinn.co.uk/menus.htm

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on a couple of days in Tintagel

Yes i agree. I was in the Cobweb last weekend and there were kids and dogs in there. Loads of character in the bar areas, its a very atmospheric pub.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
7,818 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on a couple of days in Tintagel

*mutter* there last weekend, *mutter* I have to wait till September......no green eyed monster here, move along, move along :)

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,716 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on a couple of days in Tintagel

Our B&B owner recommend the Cornishman for food in Tintagel when we were there this week. He said it was the most consistent of the pubs over the 13 yrs he's lived there, so pretty sage advice (we were too full of Cornish cream tea to eat there, but it looked a pleasant enough pub)!

7. Re: Advice on a couple of days in Tintagel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:15 am, March 23, 2012
Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,549 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on a couple of days in Tintagel

Too much something,and I don't think it was clotted cream, lol!

I wondered what the heck you were on about till I read your post on another thread then it all made sense :-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
60 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on a couple of days in Tintagel

Lewis's Tea Room in Tintagel. Our family - parents and teens - thought it was great.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,716 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice on a couple of days in Tintagel

Annabelle - I returned to the wrong thread, oops! What an eejit... Just seen this this morning and have asked TA to remove my post! Hehe.

Strangely enough jemk Lewis's B&B was where we stayed (the tearoom is shut over the winter) :-)