We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

derelict house below Camelot Castle

Which Tintagel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
canada west coast
Level Contributor
71 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
derelict house below Camelot Castle

On a recent visit to Tintagel, we walked down the cliff path beside Camelot Castle and saw a house which obviously had been derelict for some time. It had no access other than the footpath we came down, and we wondered why and how it had been built in the first place. It had been a good sized house at one time, and not that old....so being the curious creatures we are, would love to know if anyone knows it's history.

34 replies to this topic
31. Re: derelict house below Camelot Castle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 pm, August 05, 2013

Tintagel, United...
1 post
Save Reply
32. Re: derelict house below Camelot Castle

Yes Indeed such a beautiful property! If I was a millionaire I wouldn't hesitate making this place my home. It is a VERY isolated location with stunning views over the Atlantic. There is a story linked to this place though.........It was once the residence of an elderly lady and her son. The son kept himself to himself and never mingled with the community, he looked after his mother. Anyhow at some point because of the isolation and lack of human contact, he ended up with cronic depression and simply lost the plot. He ended up taking a final stroll along the cliffs and ending his miserable life. I actually know the spot where this happened! Yes a very sad story, and as it is at the moment, a very sad property just rotting away and decaying over the years. The last time I checked the property was in 2012 and looking at the recent photos just posted, even since last year there is much more graffiti and decay. Such a shame. All this house needs is love and total care. This house oozes atmosphere and I really need to get down there and take another look. In case anyone was wondering why Kate Winslet never moved into the property, the reason was simply the marriage was on the rocks and was quickly sold. Some pathetic waster who has more money than sense ended up buying it who resides in America, and has just left it to rot and decay. And that I'm afraid to say is the story of this beautiful abandoned isolated house. And yes, I am a local resident! Hey maybe I should do walk tours of the house with talks about the history of the property! Now that's a thought.................

Chelmsford
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: derelict house below Camelot Castle

Visited Tintagel last week as we have every year for the past decade and have often wondered what that house was, its history....... how much I would need to purchase it etc. I can confirm that, sadly, probably due to the vandalism over the years, the house has now been demolished.

Level Contributor
23 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: derelict house below Camelot Castle

I remember this house getting burnt down.

I was staying at the nearby Headland Caravan and Camping Park.

Very unfortunate as it has been down there for years.

Apparently it was called 'The White House.'

Reply to: derelict house below Camelot Castle
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted