We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tintagel Castle? Cornwall ?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tintagel Castle? Cornwall ?

We did the Stonehenge and Glastonbury thing this June (2011) and heard lots of good things about Tintagel and Cornwall. We plan to visit Britain again next summer and wanted to go further west. Anyone got any suggestions on how to get there or the best way to visit. My husband will not drive on the wrong side of the road ??? Appreciate any feedback

25 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tintagel Castle? Cornwall ?

If you really want to get around rural areas then driving really is your best bet

The rail network is limited and generally isn't that convenient for most attractive country areas except those the rail lines directly pass through, which is limiting

Coach tours can get you to see a fair bit of the country but they will inevitable stop in what are generally tourist traps

You can travel around with a combination of rail/coach and then local buses, but working out the timetables takes ages and the timetables themselves can be very limiting - lots of small villages get one bus a day, if you're lucky

So realistically I would try and get over the driving fear if you want to see the countryside - it's not that hard

Cornwall is beautiful, wonderful coastline. It gets very, very busy in summer though. And Tintagel is one of the worse tourist traps there - it's on a great bit of coast but the town itself is no great shakes and there are some really rubbish hotels/pubs etc there. If you want a town that's very touristy but still lives up to the hype, look at St.Ives (it helps that this is also reachable by public transport on the rail network, just)

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tintagel Castle? Cornwall ?

Try and plan your visit so that you avoid the summer school holiday period when Cornwall is very, very busy. Last two weeks of June - first two weeks of July would be quieter.

Consider taking the train into Cornwall and then hiring a car. As pintpot suggests, you really need a car to see the best bits at your leisure and to avoid the "OK, we're here for 45 minutes. Public conveniences over there... Viewpoint for photographs just along there. Ice creams across the road - watch out for seagulls" - sort of holiday.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,595 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tintagel Castle? Cornwall ?

Tintagel is not easy to reach by public transport. You would need to get a train to Bodmin Parkway, then a bus to Wadebridge, then another bus to Tintagel.

I disagree that the town itself is rubbish, I find it quite a nice little town with spectacular sea views, and the castle itself is well worth exploring.

The problem is that getting to other places you might want to visit will be a bit of an effort on public transport. Maybe a better idea is to base yourself somewhere else in North Cornwall, maybe Wadebridge or Padstow and have a day trip to Tintagel as well as being better placed to explore other towns.

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tintagel Castle? Cornwall ?

We didn't go to Tintagel, but traveled around Cornwall WITHOUT a car. My DH also wasn't interested in driving on the "wrong" side of the road, and neither was I (and after seeing some of the roads we were on for a tour, I was glad not to have that stress).

We stayed in Falmouth and took trains and buses where we wanted to go. No we didn't get there in a hurry, nor were we able to cover as much territory as we might have liked. But we were a whole lot more relaxed than we would have been with one of us fussing at the other about watching traffic, etc.

I would agree with AnnabelleCornwall's suggestion that you base yourself somewhere more "central" rather than in Tintagel if you plan to get around by public transport. We chose Falmouth because it was on a branch train line with easy changes at Truro on the mainline, and there was lots that we wanted to do there and relatively close by. However, there were a lot of other choices that we almost made instead.

We loved Cornwall, however, and I'd love to get back there! Maybe even get brave enough to try driving (but maybe leave DH at home...).

Tintagel,Cornwall
Level Contributor
757 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tintagel Castle? Cornwall ?

Tintagel is a village not a town!

It is a tourist destination and so naturally there are tourist shops!

The 5 pubs are all pretty good and from what I hear from visitors have a good standard of food and have to keep it so to compete.

Public transport is a lot better now than it was and most places can be reached by travelling to Wadebridge or Bude directly from Tintagel then changing to another bus although some of the routes finish early so you have to be careful you don't miss the last bus!

Having a car is really the best option for anywhere in Cornwall as you will be able to see a lot more and not waste time waiting for buses.

You can always hire a car down here for a few days. It is a lot easier than in the big cities like London!

I always tell people to come in June if they can as everything is open then but still quiet until mid July onwards.

Edited: 1:21 am, July 20, 2011
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tintagel Castle? Cornwall ?

Thank you all so much - looks like a car trip...... We will get a train to Falmouth and hire a car from there rather than London. Good point about the School holidays - when are the summer hoildays in the UK. Appreciate your feedback- cant wait to visit Cornwall next summer - we figured about 4 - 5 days?

Edited: 6:01 am, July 21, 2011
Cornwall, England
Level Contributor
606 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tintagel Castle? Cornwall ?

The main summer school holidays vary slightly all over the UK but in the main, Cornwall starts to get very busy from the middle of July to the first week of September, in fact we have just begun this year's time!

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tintagel Castle? Cornwall ?

The last week in May or first week in June is also usually a school holiday.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,595 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tintagel Castle? Cornwall ?

clanline, many apologies for referring to Tintagel as a town rather than a village. It's an extremely large village though!

Tintagel,Cornwall
Level Contributor
757 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tintagel Castle? Cornwall ?

It is quite a big village but it runs into Bosiney which makes it seem bigger!

After reading your note above I got to thinking when does a village become a town?

After a quick search I found this in OS mapzone,

A town is usually defined as a centre of business and population with an area in excess of 2.5 square kilometres (1 square mile). Some smaller places are also historically considered towns, for example, where they are market or former county towns.

Once on holiday touring Arizona we came across a city which was far smaller than Tintagel and almost what we would call a Hamlet so in the US they obviously have a different system!

Reply to: Tintagel Castle? Cornwall ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted