We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in the country of England

Which Tintagel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montrose, Colorado
6 posts
Save Topic
Driving in the country of England

My Plan is to rent a car from Heathrow airport and go through Oxford to Stratford-Upon- Avon (spend a night). Get up and head to Tintagel in Cornwall (spend two nights). Get up and head back to Bath (spend a night). Get up and spend a night in Cheltenham (spend the night). Get up and drive back to Heathrow. The car needs to be back by 10:00 am.

My question is - Is this the best possible route? My worry is having the car back by 10:00 am. I don't think I could leave from Tintagel and get it back that early.

Please give me some advise. Also, if you have better suggestions of places to stay in the Cotswolds, please make any suggestions.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
915 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in the country of England

The journey from Heathrow to Oxford approx 1 hrs (assuming traffic conditions are good) and is a relatively easy drive up the M40. Another hours or so will get you to Stratford. As you can easily spend a day in both Oxford and Stratford and still have loads left to see, I'm not sure you are going to be able to do both places justice in one day, especially when you add on the driving and the possibility that you may be tired from the flight (I'm assuming that you are arriving the same day).

From Stratford you have a minimum of 4 hrs to get to Tintagel and if traffic is bad (not sure when and what day of the week you are travelling) it could be considerably longer. Then 3 hrs back to Bath and another 1 hour to Cheltenham. From there Heathrow is 2 hrs approx.

The journey from Tintagel to Heathrow would take approx 5 hrs and you need to allow a generous time contingency if you have to meet a deadline. i wouldn't consider this option at all.

In fact I wouldn't bother with Tintagel on this trip and concentrate on the other places you mention. Tintagel is a place that you either love or hate and to some it can be a great disappointment. Just in case, therefore I'd leave Tintagel to a later trip (hopefully you will come again) when you can do it in conjunction with other places in Cornwall.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,536 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in the country of England

You haven't said what on days of the week you want to do these journeys. If the last journey to Heathrow is on a weekday, the early morning traffic on the M4 motorway can be hurrendous, so you woukd have to set off very early from Cheltenham to guarantee to be back at Heathrow before 10 am !

If you still want to do this, I would suggest Heathrow - Stratford - Cheltenham - Tintagel - Bath - Heathrow would be a more logical route. Better still, try Heathrow - Stratford - Tintagel - Cheltenham, then drive back to Heathrow calling in at Bath on the way and stop overnight at a hotel near Heathrow - I think that you would find this much more relaxing as most of your journey will be on the Motorway.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,986 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in the country of England

Route planning www.theaa.com and www.viamichelin.com

accommodation along the way www.bedandbreakfastnationwide.com

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in the country of England

Hi

We are visiting in May and have booked "The Chance" B&B in Chipping Campden. TA has very good reviews.

STKIS

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,874 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in the country of England

<<< Please give me some advise. >>>

Get a proper night's sleep before doing any driving. I'd get a coach to Bath from Heathrow then pick up a car the next day.

Kenilworth
Level Contributor
380 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in the country of England

In reality I think you're trying to do too much in the time available. Stratford to Tintagel will take at least 4 and a half hours driving, and could easily take an extra hour or more if you get stuck in traffic. I've just come back from a trip down to Cornwall and I would recommend you allow a day for the journey. If you do do it, you will want to stop a couple of times on the way, and I'd recommend a stop at the National Trust's Castle Drogo - it's only just off the route.

Alternatively spend more time in the Cotswolds - I think you will find it much more enjoyable !!

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
576 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving in the country of England

The whole itinerary sounds a bit crazy to me. Why don't you choose Cornwall. Go there & see all the wonderful things that Cornwall has. All the stop starting here there & everywhere just to say you have been to the usual sight. It is so typical of tourist, may I say without being rude "Like Sheep ", They really never get to see the real beautiful countryside that we have in the UK because they are never still long enough to take it in. My advise is book somewhere really decent in Cornwall & see the real England.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,536 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving in the country of England

Hector - I think that the original poster was visiting the UK in May, so will probably be back home by now !

Edited: 1:17 pm, June 10, 2010
Level Contributor
3,391 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving in the country of England

A stupid itinery, you are just going to be seeing a lot of motorway, and little of anywhere to enjoy yourself. Cut your itinery in half and it would be just about bearable

10. Re: Driving in the country of England

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, December 08, 2010