We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis - how to hail and where to sit?

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,093 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Taxis - how to hail and where to sit?

I'm in Truro now, moving over to St. Ives soon. Today I tried to flag down a cab on the street here in Truro and wasn't successful... do cabs not stop for hails? What about in St. Ives? (If not, where are the taxi ranks in St. Ives, other than the train station?)

And I also noticed that if there were only 1 or 2 passengers in a cab, one person sat next to the driver, and the second person sat in the back. Have I been accidentally insulting cab drivers by sitting in the back? ;)

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,573 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Taxis - how to hail and where to sit?

That's why I sit up front so we can have a chat. Just a thought as to why they might be surprised at you paying them. Are you tipping? If so, and particularly if you are tipping like in the US no wonder they are surprised. I don't want to open the tipping can of worms on this lovely quiet thread, but although it is done in some parts of the UK, it's not really the norm in Cornwall. They aren't going to refuse it though!

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,093 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Taxis - how to hail and where to sit?

No, I'm not tipping (I've done my research)! It seems like paying interrupts our chatting, while the drivers have seemed quite happy to just sit and talk.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,573 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Taxis - how to hail and where to sit?

Just our friendly local people then Susan, we do like a chat! Glad to hear you have done the research too.

London, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Taxis - how to hail and where to sit?

You will find only the pre-booked cabs in the areas around Cornwall where hailing a taxis on the spot lights will be a tuf luck to rely on . These days you have number of minicabs services which can be booked over a phone or through online well in advance and the prices are much cheaper than black taxis. I usually sit at the back seat in a cab but if your really comfortable in sitting next to the driver you can sit there however the driver does not going to mind wherever your sitting.

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Taxis - how to hail and where to sit?

ACE Cars in St Ives have an office at The Malakoff that is next to the Bus Station and quite close to the Train Station. You can sit and wait in the office until a taxi is available if you wish.

Suzi

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,093 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Taxis - how to hail and where to sit?

One last note on the cabs in Cornwall... when I arrived in St. Ives, I went up to the taxi office next to the train station, where I actually had quite a wait for an available cab, as some folks had pre-booked and others had walked faster than I did. This year I'll call from St. Erth train station and pre-book (which will also save me the struggle up the hill with the World's Heaviest Suitcase).

The rest of my stay, I called the taxi service in advance (or had a restaurant do so) and it worked out fine.

Groomsport, United...
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Taxis - how to hail and where to sit?

No tipping?...why not...if you're happy with the way they drove, did the job for you...just round up to a £ or a £ xtra

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,573 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Taxis - how to hail and where to sit?

Cats. that's not the way we do things. Ok, round up to the nearest pound if you must, but no more, and certainly not US type tipping. The price they charge is the price for the job. We get paid a decent living wage here in the UK, so while nobody will turn down a tip, it isn't expected. And even less so in Cornwall than maybe a big city.

Edited: 4:42 pm, March 06, 2015
UK
Level Contributor
6,419 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Taxis - how to hail and where to sit?

Is "not tipping" a Cornwall thing? I always tip taxi drivers here in East Anglia, and elsewhere in the UK. Not American-sized tips - just a pound or so for a journey in town.

england
Level Contributor
5,480 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Taxis - how to hail and where to sit?

looks like we all agree that American style tips are unnecessary. If you have a lot of heavy luggage and the driver helps with it maybe a small tip, but I dont tip otherwise. The cab driver wont care where you sit but I'd always sit in the back if with someone else.