We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve in St Ives

Which St Ives hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Reading, England
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
New Years Eve in St Ives

Hi everyone!

I am thinking of seeing in the New Year 2015 in St Ives.

Has anyone done this recently? It looks like a good atmosphere with lots of people, many in fancy dress, but is it TOO busy these days? It would be nice to be able to get a drink without having to fight our way to the bar for an hour! Any opinions or experiences would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,475 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years Eve in St Ives

I have not been but know people who have. It is very busy in the pubs and most restaurants are full with bookings needed in advance. Like most towns and resorts, NYE is a very busy night, and you will have to fight your way to the bar in most pubs,much as you would have to elsewhere in the UK . Having said that,it will be a cracking atmosphere in the town and on the wharf and is a wonderful place to see in the New Year.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,687 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years Eve in St Ives

Never been but friends rate it highly. Suggest you book accommodation now

Derby
Level Contributor
171 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years Eve in St Ives

I saw 2012 in in St Ives. Best New Years Eve ever. We got the train in from Carbis Bay and it was surreal with everyone in fancy dress. I would say 95% of people dressed up of all ages. We went in about 7 o clock, pubs were not too busy, pre booked a meal at Pizza Express - the atmosphere in the restaurant was brilliant - then had a couple of drinks at The Sloop to see in the New Year with the firework display. To get a flavour there are plenty of videos on you tube but I would say do it.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Years Eve in St Ives

I am thinking of seeing in the New Year 2015 in St Ives.

Has anyone done this recently?

------

Dr Who.

St Ives
Level Contributor
381 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Years Eve in St Ives

This is what it looks like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JJmcJBJ-_8 That was NYE 2012 and it was very similar last week. Everyone I spoke to said it was no problem getting a drink at the pubs. It's always a friendly atmosphere - we just need a bit of luck with the weather on the night. It rained heavily from 11.30 this time but it didn't seem to bother people too much, and the fireworks were superb.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Years Eve in St Ives

Hi,

I'm 70 years of age & after visiting St Ives twice a year in summer for many years, I have always wanted to experience a stay in the winter & see in the New Year in St Ives. This year I did just that, in the company of my middle aged daughter & nine year old great grand daughter. We all donned fancy dress, & it was without doubt, the best New Years Eve we've ever had, despite the weather. We spent a couple of hours walking round St Ives, enjoying the atmosphere, which was electrifying & so much fun. The pubs do get very crowded, but there are ways round that, such as having a drink before you go out, or popping back home as we did for a brandy coffee. As we were lucky enough to be staying in accommodation on the Wharf, we had a fantastic view of the spectacular firework display, & I will certainly be going back again in the future. I just hope the weather is kinder next year. St Ives is a fantastic place in both summer & winter. Derbianlass

Usk
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: New Years Eve in St Ives

We are celebrating New Year's Eve this year in st Ives but are not sure how we can get back to Carbis Bay any ideas ?

Nicola

Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Years Eve in St Ives

Walk it will take about 30 mins. Good way to work off the excesses of the evening.

9. Re: New Years Eve in St Ives

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 01, 2016