We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to stay without a car

Which St Ives hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
Level Contributor
601 posts
180 reviews
Save Topic
How long to stay without a car

We are considering taking the train from Gloucester to St. Ives. How many days do you suggest staying? We will not have a car. We like walking ( if it is safe such as on paths) and are also wondering about public transport to see things.

Oregon
Level Contributor
601 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: How long to stay without a car

Thank you

Boston...
Level Contributor
391 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: How long to stay without a car

My personal opinion as someone who has come and gone -as long as you can ;-). I'm still there in my head! Cornwall is beautiful, as is St Ives. Try to do tours or buses without a car as some have suggested.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,183 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: How long to stay without a car

This is the town where parking spaces are sold for £50,000. I purposefully leave my car at home so I don't have to stress about it in St Ives. Especially if you have not been to the area before, you will find plenty to do which is accessible by public transport. It may be a bit slower, but the slow pace of life is one of the reasons to visit.

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: How long to stay without a car

We travel down to the area in the car, however, we generally hardly use it whether we are there for one week or two weeks. There is so much to do on foot there and the public transport is very good. It is especially good having access to the St Ives Branch Line which connects with other trains at St Erth.

There are so many places you can walk around there including the South West Coast Path or St Michael's Way. Just a walk around The Island at St Ives or up to Barnoon is fabulous for the views. There are lots of pubs, restaurants and cafes and plenty of shops in St Ives.

Dependant on what time of the year you are visiting, you can catch the 300 Explorer bus that will take you to a great many places around the West Penwith peninsular. This runs up until 29th September this year so, if you are going to be there prior to that date then you can take advantage of this service and see some other, more remote, coastal places including Porthcurno, Lamorna, Sennen and St Just - information here - firstgroup.com/ukbus/…

Suzi

15. Re: How long to stay without a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 29, 2014
Get answers to your questions about St Ives