We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Cornwall when St. Ives is your base?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in Cornwall when St. Ives is your base?

We are travelling to Cornwall in a couple of weeks and are looking for some things to do, we stay in Looe for one night then head down to Hayle near St. Ives for 4 nights then we have one more night which we havent booked anywhere yet as want to see where we fancy once down there. Has anyone got any suggestions for activities to do or places to eat? We dont mind travelling a bit to get to them

Thanks in advance

x

Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Looe
Looe
Cornwall, UK
Hayle
Hayle
Cornwall, UK
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK
Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Cornwall when St. Ives is your base?

What interests you? Cornwall is great for beaches, walking, gardens, NT properties, good food etc etc. Post back with more information about what you like to do and I am sure lots of suggestions will be forthcoming.

Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Cornwall when St. Ives is your base?

Thanks, We love everything really, Our main thing is nature and animals so anything like that would be amazing, also the most quaint villages to visit, historical sites etc almost anything really! and food wise, would like really great tasting food on a avergae budget with good atmosphere! Oh we dont really like seafood though which I know might cause an issue being so close to the sea lol

Sorry if its a bit wide spread but we are not really fussy people haha

Thanks

x

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,505 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in Cornwall when St. Ives is your base?

This should appeal to you then! http://www.paradisepark.org.uk/

Also, take a drive down towards Land End, if thats your type of thing. Close then would be the Minack theatre http://www.minack.com/ and the Porthcurnow Telegraph museum http://www.porthcurno.org.uk/ which is interesting. Beautiful beaches and coast walking there as well. There are lots of places to eat in Hayle though i can't reccomend any as its not my area for eating out. I believe the Watermill pub near the roundabout at Lelant on the St Ives road is good.

Mentioned in this post
Minack Theatre
Minack Theatre
4,156 Reviews
Penzance, UK
The Watermill
The Watermill
463 Reviews
St Ives, UK
Lelant
Lelant
St Ives, UK
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK
Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in Cornwall when St. Ives is your base?

Hello! First the Watermill isn't a pub it's a cafe, but good. The pub near here is The Old Quay, great location at the head of Hayle Estuary, I thought the food was okay but nothing special. Hayle has a few places to eat but I suspect they are all a bit basic unless something new has opened recently. As you drive along the coast road towards Portreath the pub at nearby Gwithian has a reasonable reputation, and further along is the Sand sifter which I an told is okay, further along still is the (daytime) Hells Mouth Cafe which looks dreary but has good, basic but well made food, nice coastal walks and views here as well.

Got to go now but might post again with more ideas

Mentioned in this post
The Watermill
The Watermill
463 Reviews
St Ives, UK
Hayle
Hayle
Cornwall, UK
Gwithian Beach
Gwithian Beach
367 Reviews
St Ives, UK
UK
Level Contributor
7,995 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in Cornwall when St. Ives is your base?

I would absolutely NOT recommend Lands End. It's just tacky. A (formerly) lovely piece of scenery completely ruined by tacky shops and amusement arcades. Complete waste of time and money. Never again!

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in Cornwall when St. Ives is your base?

Paradise Park in Hayle used to be very good although we haven't been there for several years:

http://www.paradisepark.org.uk/

If you visit the Minack open-air theatre at Porthcurno and it's a nice sunny day you may see basking sharks in Porthcurno bay (visible from the entrance to the Minack Theatre. )

As you're not keen on seafood I'll just mention that Drecklys restaurant in Penzance does wonderful steaks.

Excellent pasties at the cafe/restaurant at Geevor Tin Mine near Pendeen. If you take a walk on the nearby cliffs afterwards you may be lucky enough to see the rare cornish choughs.

A few miles from Porthcurno is the village of Treen where the Logan Rock Inn does very good food. You could leave your car in Treen then walk out onto the Logan Rock headland, admire the views back towards Porthcurno, then turn eastwards along the coast path to visit very pretty Penberth cove, and walk back up the valley to Treen (about 3 miles for the circular walk).

Mentioned in this post
Paradise Park
Paradise Park
1,026 Reviews
Hayle, UK
Hayle
Hayle
Cornwall, UK
Porthcurno
Porthcurno
426 Reviews
Porthcurno, UK
Minack Theatre
Minack Theatre
4,156 Reviews
Penzance, UK
Penzance
Penzance
Cornwall, UK
Geevor Tin Mine
Geevor Tin Mine
930 Reviews
Pendeen, UK
The Logan Rock Inn
The Logan Rock Inn
398 Reviews
Treen, UK
Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in Cornwall when St. Ives is your base?

Hello again!

If you like nature, you should go seal spotting at Godrevy, just along the coastal road to Portreath. Turn left by the Sandsifter, keep going to the far end of the road, park your car, then keep walking along the coast path until you come to a high cliff, fenced off at the edge, overlooking a cove. Chances are other people will be there. The cove is sometimes full of lazing seals, although can't guarantee when they'll be there.

If you are very lucky you can also see dolphins playing in the waters by Godrevy Light.

If you are interested in Cornish history and culture - the real thing not the sort of 'quaint' image presented by some TV shows - go over to the Redruth/Camborne area and walk the Great Flat Lode trail (google it for info) around the tin mining remains. A World Heritage site, fascinating remains set amidst beautiful scenery. On the trail, although not always open, is the King Edward Mine Museum. Once the training mine for Camborne School of Mines, now run by very knowledgeable and enthusiastic volunteers, it is full of machinery that was state of the art a hundred years ago. It's also worth visiting the exhibition at Heartlands near Redruth (nice cafe with tables set amongst thme old mining equipment) and Poldark Mine near Helston where you can go underground to walk through some extensive mine workings.

Edited: 5:59 pm, April 24, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Godrevy
Godrevy
188 Reviews
Gwithian, UK
Poldark Mine
Poldark Mine
319 Reviews
Wendron, UK
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do in Cornwall when St. Ives is your base?

Wow thank you everybody, The possibility of seeing Sharks, Seals & Dolphins in their natural habitat is amazing! I didnt even know they inhabited around there so thats really exciting, although am I allowed to ask what the hell rare cornish choughs are? lol

Thats a shame to hear about Lands End as have never been and so wanted to go. I think we will still pop over ther but atleast now we will be more prepared for the tourist tat!

Sandy1949 that trail sounds fascinating!! I had heard of Geevor tin mine but not any others so will definately have a look into them.

Thank you all again some great suggestions.

As a side note are the coastal paths well signed as we are generally not great with direction and dont want to be getting lost lol

x

Mentioned in this post
Geevor Tin Mine
Geevor Tin Mine
930 Reviews
Pendeen, UK
Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do in Cornwall when St. Ives is your base?

More about Cornish choughs here:

rspb.org.uk/ourwork/projects/details/223656-…

The suggestion for visiting Land's End that turns up regularly in this forum is to go to Sennen Cove (just NE of Land's End) early and park. Enjoy the gorgeous Whitesands Bay beach, surfing opportunities, the Round House arts/crafts gallery and great food at the Old Success Inn (and other places in the cove.) Then take the cliff path and walk to Land's End - it's an easy walk, about 1.5miles - and a much more attractive approach than by road into the huge carpark with throngs of cars and coaches. Then you can spend as long (or short) as you want there, take a few snapshots, eat an icecream, buy some "souvenirs" and walk back to Sennen Cove or (if you time it right) you can get a local bus back.

Mentioned in this post
Old Success Inn
Old Success Inn
526 Reviews
Sennen Cove, UK
Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,505 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do in Cornwall when St. Ives is your base?

I echo the comment about walking to Lands End from Sennen Cove. I did this last year and its a lovely way to see the real beauty of Lands End without all the commercial tat that goes with it. For someone to say it was a lovely place but is ruined is not really right. The beautiful scenery is still there,and its an iconic landmark and always will be. its just the stuff you have to go thru to get there thats the problem. If you park at the far end carpark at Sennen cove, the coast path to Lands End is right there. The path is well signed throughout Cornwall and is generally easy to find and is well kept in most places.

Sandy-- are you thinking of the same place? The Watermill is most definitely a pub not a cafe. eatoutcornwall.com/restaurants/st-ives/the-w…

I didn't rate the Old Quay Inn either,thats why i didn't mention it. Though it was a while ago so it may have improved.

I have seen seals(often) and dolphins (occaisionally) but not been lucky enough to see basking sharks or the elusive choughs, despite going to the places reccomended by the RSPB. I will be trying again soon!

Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
The Watermill
The Watermill
463 Reviews
St Ives, UK
The Old Quay Inn
The Old Quay Inn
240 Reviews
Devoran, UK