We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a direct train service from Heathrow to St Ives

Benton, Louisiana
1 post
Save Topic
Is there a direct train service from Heathrow to St Ives

My wife and I would like to take a train from Heathrow to St Ives. Is there a direct train service in Heathrow. Or how do we go from Heathrow to St Ives withot renting a car and not using an overnight train service?

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,400 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a direct train service from Heathrow to St Ives

If you mean St Ives in Cornwall rather than St Ives in Cambridgeshire, then take the Airlink bus to Reading from Heathrow then pick up the Cornwall train from there

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,587 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a direct train service from Heathrow to St Ives

no direct train service to St Ives from Heathrow.

To get to St Ives by train, get the bus to Reading, then get on a train to St Erth and then change for the branch line to St Ives. Trains run during the day as well as overnight.

You can get a coach direct to St Ives from Heathrow, it takes around 8 hours.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a direct train service from Heathrow to St Ives

You can also go into Paddington and get the train from there. Reading is fine if you know which train you will catch and have reserved seats, but if you're not sure of which train and can't reserve seats go to Paddington which is the start of the journey so more likely to find empty places.

It is a long journey from Heathrow to St Ives (about five hours from Paddington) and the last train is 16.06 from Paddington (12.57 on Sunday)

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a direct train service from Heathrow to St Ives

Meant to add there is an overnight service except Saturday leaves Paddington 23.45 arrives St Errh where you have to change 8 am. You need to book if you want a berth

Oh just noticed you don't want the sleeper

Edited: 5:49 pm, February 25, 2013
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
948 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a direct train service from Heathrow to St Ives

Depending on when you're getting in, you may want to consider staying overnight in London and coming down the next day from Paddington - the scenery is beautiful from the train, particularly Exeter - Newton Abbott and just after Plymouth.

Whichever way you do it you'll need to change onto the branch line at St Erth to get to St Ives, but it's no trouble, and it's very pretty and quick.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,048 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a direct train service from Heathrow to St Ives

Please get back to us if you re travelling between 29th March and 7th April, as a revised train service will be in operation.

This is due to major rebuilding work at Reading Station - trains will be diverted and retimed.

Edited: 3:17 am, February 26, 2013
Kansas City
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there a direct train service from Heathrow to St Ives

I am also looking to make this trip. Taking the Airlink bus to Reading as mentioned would save quite a bit of money compared to booking the ticket straight from Heathrow. Also, I've never traveled on British trains before outside of the underground in London, will I save significant money purchasing my train ticket in advance versus buying it at the train station? It looks to be about 45 minutes from Heathrow to Reading - I am nervous to book something too close to my arrival at Heathrow and get delayed and miss my train, but also don't want to be too cautious and sit around for hours waiting for my train. Arriving into Heathrow on June 25th at 12:15. Thanks.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there a direct train service from Heathrow to St Ives

will I save significant money purchasing my train ticket in advance versus buying it at the train station?

------- Oh yes, a lot. You can look up prices here http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

It looks to be about 45 minutes from Heathrow to Reading - I am nervous to book something too close to my arrival at Heathrow and get delayed and miss my train, but also don't want to be too cautious and sit around for hours waiting for my train

--------- thats the dilemma everyone faces and that's why if you are spending any time in London, its best to spend it there first and sidestep that issue. There is a middle way, buy off peak tickets good for any train. But to save the big bucks you need to get a specific timed one, miss that and your ticket is toast..

Kansas City
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there a direct train service from Heathrow to St Ives

thanks for the quick reply. no time in London this trip, headed to St Ives for a wedding. I'll check out those off peak tickets and see what I can manage. thanks again

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,236 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there a direct train service from Heathrow to St Ives

< Taking the Airlink bus to Reading as mentioned would save quite a bit of money compared to booking the ticket straight from Heathrow. >

Whilst you can book from Heathrow, you can't collect tickets at Heathrow. So however you do it you have to go somewhere else first