We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riviere Towans or Gwithian Sands Chalet Park?

Sheffield, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Riviere Towans or Gwithian Sands Chalet Park?

We have found some lovely chalet but can not decide between Riviere Towans which has sea views - and hopefully sunsets and Gwithian Sands which is small chalet park with just 30 chalet next to dunes, which looks really lovely spot but do not think it will have any views.

We have a 2 and 5yr and main concern is walk (and back) over dunes to the beach and also sitting outside chalet in evening relaxing. Can anyone help as this is our first trip to this area?

Thank you

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riviere Towans or Gwithian Sands Chalet Park?

Hi, I am not an expert on either park, however I can picture where they are and in the great realm of things there not that far from each other area wise! I have however wandered aimlessly around those Dunes with 3 little ones......whilst initially It's fun, it did on the third trip get a lot of "do we have to" "I can't carry my bucket/spade/bag)" I'm tired I'm hot moans and groans whilst trying to find your way back to where you had come from!!!!! On a very hot end of day it can get wearing.....trust me ;-)

If one has seaviews and easier access to this beautiful stretch of sands then go for that one!!!

I would also reccomended catching the branchline train from Hayle/St.Erth to St.Ives....you will all enjoy the experience and views and will save trying to find somewhere to park!

Enjoy....Caz

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riviere Towans or Gwithian Sands Chalet Park?

Hi

I have not stayed at either, however, I know the locations very well. If it were me I would stay at Riviere Towans which has access to a fab beach and where you will get amazing sunsets and lovely views over to Carbis Bay and St Ives. Gwithian Sands is next to a busy road and you also don't get views because of the large sand dunes in the way.

If you put in Gwithian Sands postcode, you can see it with Streetview. The dunes behind the park are clearly visible and you can see just how close it is to the road. Whilst I haven't stayed at Riviere Towans I believe that it has good beach access so it shouldn't be difficult getting to the beach. I believe it is a wee bit steep but my brother-in-law, wife, 1 year old and 10 year old had no problems and went to the beach every day whilst they were there.

Which particular place is causing you worries about getting to the beach? Also, I am not sure what you mean about sitting outside your chalet in the evening, what are the concerns you have with that?

Suzi

Sheffield, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Riviere Towans or Gwithian Sands Chalet Park?

Thank you very much for your advice....It is hard to tell much from the internet info so your help is appreciated.

Re Gwithian Sands Chalet Park. It is really the 10-15 min walk back through the hilly dunes with a tired two yr old that concerns me. I have read good reviews about this place but from what I can tell sitting outside the chalet in the evening if we have good weather will be nice but we will not have any views....

I cannot find much on Riviere Towans but it APPEARS? to have less of a walk to the beach and has sea views (albeit limited) from the chalet which would be nice for us as having two young children we will be tied to the chalet in the evenings..... We are leaning towards this site but have not found any positive mentions of it and we have of Gwithian Sands...

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riviere Towans or Gwithian Sands Chalet Park?

Ah, I see, sorry, I didn't quite get the gist of what you meant. I have stayed at Gwithian but not the Chalet Park and the dunes are lovely but I agree with Caz's post.

If you search in the St Ives and Hayle forum you will see some previous threads on Riviere Sands - http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/SearchForums?scope=2&ff=637&geo=186234&q=riviere+sands&sub-search.x=7&sub-search.y=5&returnTo=__2F__

I have dug out the link for you above.

Here are some reviews too:-

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g528841-d1204…

Suzi

Sheffield, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Riviere Towans or Gwithian Sands Chalet Park?

Thanks for your help. I have had a look on the other forums but not found anything for Riviere Towans, only for the Riviere Sands Park. Can anyone tell me what the access to the beach is like from Riviere Towans - Tom's Holidays ??

Thank you....

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riviere Towans or Gwithian Sands Chalet Park?

Riviere Sands is the Park at Riviere Towans and Toms Holidays is also down there. The link I posted has information about Riviere Sands and there should be info in there about what access is like to the beach. I believe it's not the easiest access there either but better than Gwithian Sands. I cannot find any reviews on Gwithian Sands anywhere.

Reviews for Tom's Holidays here:-

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g528841-d1118…

Suzi

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riviere Towans or Gwithian Sands Chalet Park?

Hi

I've managed to find a review for Gwithian Sands here too:-

zoover.co.uk/england/…holiday-park

Oh dear, it's in German, you will need to find an online translator or something!

"Klein bungalowparkje aan de rand van de duinen. Huisjes zijn perfect. Duinen zijn voor kinderen speelparadijs. 10-15 minuten lopen - door duinen - naar één van de beste surfstranden van Europa. Klein winkeltje die ook voor naastgelegen stacaravanpark is biedt alles aan wat nodig is. Incl. afhaalmaaltijden. Hayle zelf is niet veel aan. St. Ives daarentegen is gewéldig. Ligging park op zo'n 3 km van de A30, dus heel goed ontsloten."

I've pasted the text above to make it easier for you but it is worth visiting the link because they give it scores out of 10 for things. Nothing's every straightforward is it? LOL

There is a photo on there as well.

Suzi

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riviere Towans or Gwithian Sands Chalet Park?

Eventually, I have managed to find just one review:-

We have been going to Gwithian Sands nr Hayle for 5 years now and we love it, we normally stay at The Molly (google it) which sleeps 4 very well.This year my mother will be joining us so staying at another chalet The oyster Catcher sleeps 5. The beach is a little brezzy but never busy the sunset surf cafe nr the beach does get a little crowded but the food is amazing and they teach surfing great,very patience chaps and so laid back and also quite handsome. Hayle has a couple of great places to eat The pizza place perfect pizzas ever,great fish and pasta dishes and the red river inn what a find. Also try getting a local pasty and go up to the churchtown road and watch the dolphins swim by.

You wont regret it it could become one of your favorites as well. Cant wait until the 16th when we go for our fun filled relaxing week

I don't know if that helps or not because it doesn't really say a lot about the park but they enjoyed themselves!

Suzi

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riviere Towans or Gwithian Sands Chalet Park?

I have just returned from Riviere Towans, nice site, fairly well maintained and close to the beach. Its probably a five to ten minute walk to the beach, downhill on the way, but fairly steep on the way back. (steps up from the beach) This might be a problem with young children and if you are carrying lots of buckets and spades etc.

Riviere Towans site is ok, some of the chalets look in better condition than others. I stayed in F22 "To the Lighthouse" and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It was really run down and grotty. Whilst there I had a look at the chalet opposite which was beautiful, so wouldnt be put off by the site, you just need to choose your accomodation carefully.

I took my dogs on holiday with me, and the downside to Riviere Towans is that you cant take dogs on the beach there, (except before 8am or after 7pm). But at Gwithian there is a dog friendly beach which can be reached by a fairly steep walk through the sand dunes down to the beach. (Peter's Point).

Edited: 5:12 am, September 16, 2012
St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riviere Towans or Gwithian Sands Chalet Park?

I take my 15 Month old Grandson onto the beach at Riviere Towans Chalet Park. He can comfortably walk it. The only prooblem we have is the fact He is never ready to leave the beach. Summer and Winter alike he just loves it playing on the sands. Winter time with his little wellies splashing in the water makes his little face beam. There are some very nice Chalets on the park. The people are very friendly.