We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the Tregenna castle

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
the Tregenna castle

i have booked to go there with my husband for my birthday in a couple of weeks from now. i have read the reviews and to be honest i am getting a little worried they dont say good things. This is a silly question to those who have stayed there people were going on about the state of the bathrooms and the shower, but no mention of a bath. is there a bath in the bathroom? Also can anybody update me about the rooms is they have stayed there recently Thanks

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: the Tregenna castle

Hi Barbara

The best thing you can do is ring Tregenna Castle with regard to whether there is a bath or not. If there isn't a bath with what you have booked they might be able to jig things around for you? If you don't ask, you don't get.

The reviews for Tregenna are very mixed including bad reviews and really good reviews. This would lead me to believe that it is what someone has made of their stay and that influences how they feel about the place. I tend to only look at criticism of facilities if they are followed up with photos.

If you are worried abut anything, I really think that you should ring and ask for more information.

Suzi

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: the Tregenna castle

Hi Barbara

I ran out of time earlier because my lunch hour finishes at 2.00 pm. What I was going to say as well was that this hotel has a heck of a lot of reviews and there are, therefore, going to be more bad reviews than a hotel with significantly less reviews. It also follows that there will be more good reviews. From an analytical point of view, there are more good reviews than bad. By saying this I am including mediocre reviews as bad, therefore, very good or excellent = 228, terrible, poor and average = 193. When you are reviewing somewhere with mixed reviews, you have to remember what it was that attracted you to book the place in the first place. Also, you need to read the reviews and see what problems people are mentioning. What is a problem for some people isn't for someone else. People can complain about all sorts of trivialities. I have seen all manner of complaints that I would consider insignificant in reviews. For example, I saw a restaurant review where a drink had suddenly become unavailable so the diners were offered a different, more expensive brand at the same price. They were happy to accept it in the restaurant but complained about it in their review.

I have never stayed there so cannot comment as such. Hopefully, someone will have stayed there and will be able to post a reply before you visit. I have been past many many times and it does look lovely so I hope that everything will be okay for you. In particular, I know you get spectacular views from there so that should be fab.

Suzi

Edited: 1:26 pm, November 15, 2011
Cornwall, England
Level Contributor
605 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: the Tregenna castle

I stayed at Tregenna Castle in October, just for a Saturday night , paying around £70.00 for our room and had no complaints whatsoever. The rooms were not that big but were comfortable and clean. We did have a bath and a shower but I agree with Suzi, if a bath is important to you, then request one. The hotel itself is lovely, the staff we encountered were all friendly and helpful and breakfast was good, the grounds and views amazing. Maybe if people have paid more they may expect more but for me and the others in our party, we were all happy. There are probably parts of the hotel that are a bit tired but to me that is part of its charm, we would definitely go back. I do hope you enjoy your stay and your birthday.

Oxford
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: the Tregenna castle

we've stayed at Tregenna loads and all I can say is that the rooms vary enormously. Some are small, dark and dingy (unpleasant!) , others are big, bright and airy. We usually tend to book the best room that is available with seaview - looking over the gardens or into the kitcheny bit is not as good!

agree with other posters - if a bath is important then ask. I think we have always had a bath, and some of the bathrooms have been quite spacious. but that is not to say that you will necessarily get one! breakfasts are ok, but i wouldn't recommend evening meals . if you do find yourself in a room that you are not happy with then you can always ask to move (you may even get a free upgrade!) - you should be ok to move rooms this time of year as they are unlikely to be fully booked (unless they are selling rooms for next to nothing - in which case you may only get what you pay for!)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: the Tregenna castle

Thanks for all your replies they have been very helpfull i feel a bit better now. will post a review when i return thanks again

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: the Tregenna castle

We've stayed at the Tregenna Castle 3 times: The first couple of times we had sea view rooms on the first floor - spacious comfortable double room, good ensuite with bath and shower over, great views out to sea and over St Ives Island.

Our most recent short break of two nights was a 'cheap deal' in early September 2011. On this occasion we still had a 'sea view' room but it was on the ground floor, the sea view being a little obscured by the foliage from the garden border outside. The room and the en suite were both smaller, but the ensuite still had a bath with shower over. The room was clean, comfortable but it was a bit 'tired'.

We've always found the breakfast to be very good - plenty of it. Platters of bacon, eggs etc being refilled promptly.

For a 'special occasion' break I'd recommend phoning them for details of rooms and, if available, ask for a first floor sea view.

The staff have always been pleasant, friendly and helpful.

e.g. When we had to unexpectedly cancel our 'cheap deal' last June I expected to lose the money (we hadn't bothered with insurance for just two nights) but it was credited to our Tregenna account and we were allowed to use it as long as we re-booked again within 6 months.

Save Reply
7. Re: the Tregenna castle

Hi Barbara... We can't wait to welcome you to Tregenna Castle for your birthday! We are really pleased you are celebrating your birthday with us! We will make sure you have a room with a bath (most do have one) plus a complimentary upgrade! We really want you to have a nice time with us!

The other comments on this post to date make a lot of sense... Posted by some lovely people.

See you soon

From the Management at Tregenna.

8. Re: the Tregenna castle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:24 am, November 18, 2012
Get answers to your questions about St Ives