We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

child as well as adult friendly restaurants in St.Ives

Meath
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
child as well as adult friendly restaurants in St.Ives

Hi all, We will be in St. Ives for a week in July with our two daughters aged 9 and 7 and also my 70+ mother. We are regular visitors to Cornwall but first time staying in St. Ives. We eat out most evenings and would love some advice / recommendations on nice restaurants for us but that cater also for childrens tastes and welcome children (without being overun by highchairs however- we've been there and done that in the past). Our children are not young and love eating out so we would hope to be able to venture into some of the nicer restaurants(?). We've looked at the usual lists but are not sure if some of them exclude children for example / or which ones welcome children while still retaining an adult customer base. Also would love good value i.e. not too expensive. Thanks in advance. Really looking forward to our trip as we love Cornwall !

Mentioned in this post
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: child as well as adult friendly restaurants in St.Ives

Hi there,

Ocean grill fits the bill. :)

Lovely v iews right next to the harbour, great food at a reasonable price.

We have 2 girls aged 12 and 10 and have been here for the last few years, kids love it and made to feel welcome.

My only concern is that your mother is fit enough to climb 15 steps or so (its one of these balcony restaurants) having said that if she is fit enough to walk around St Ives then she should be fine with the steps.

Jake

Mentioned in this post
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK
Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: child as well as adult friendly restaurants in St.Ives

I agree, Ocean Grill is definitely a great choice. The food is excellent and really good value when compared with some other restaurants in St Ives. I go a few times every time I visit St Ives. It is a good option for both lunch and dinner. The waiters/waitresses are really friendly and the place is definitely child friendly for children of all ages.

Suzi

Mentioned in this post
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK
Meath
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: child as well as adult friendly restaurants in St.Ives

Thanks Suzi and Jake - sounds great. I suppose I should book table in advance as July will be busy.

J

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: child as well as adult friendly restaurants in St.Ives

Hi,

Booking a table is a good idea as there will be a few of you.

To be fair there are lots of good places to eat as well as good pubs for a pint etc, it all comes down to personal taste. I do think though that you cant go wrong with Ocean grill, the only one I would avoid like the plague is the Reef bar, food is awful.

Have a fab time

Jake

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: child as well as adult friendly restaurants in St.Ives

Good to hear the heads up on Reef, Jake. Nearly been in a few times but never made it, I will give it a miss now.

To be honest, I think most restaurants are pretty all ages friendly in St Ives. Whenever I've been eating out, there have always been all manner of age groups from the very young upwards.

I really hope you enjoy St Ives and all its lovely restaurants.

Suzi

Mentioned in this post
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: child as well as adult friendly restaurants in St.Ives

Hi Suzi,

Yes its such a shame about the Reef bar, as like the others, it is in a fab location. Unfortunately the service and food left a lot to be desired.

The next on my list to try food (after recommendations) is the Castle Inn. I've been in a few times for a drink and was quite impressed (real ale, friendly staff etc) but never had any food. So this August I'll be giving it a go.

Have you or anyone else been?

Best wishes

Jake

Blackpool
Destination Expert
for Blackpool
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: child as well as adult friendly restaurants in St.Ives

I have read a few reports that Rhubarbs is good, and child friendly too. Might try it in September :)

Meath
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: child as well as adult friendly restaurants in St.Ives

Thanks again. Its good to hear that most places in St.Ives are child friendly.

Have you any opinions on The Mermaid, Onshore or Peppers ? Thanks, J.

Mentioned in this post
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: child as well as adult friendly restaurants in St.Ives

Hi there,

Again, the Mermaid is excellent. Cant comment on the others though.

Jake

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: child as well as adult friendly restaurants in St.Ives

I hated Onshore and realised afterwards they had overcharged me. Pizza had gristly chicken on. The place had no atmosphere. Peppers has extremely mixed reviews. The Mermaid is fab. Food in The Sloop is great but pub v busy. They have a restaurant above, The Captains Table, and I have booked for dinner already on basis of Sloop food.

Suzi