We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Ives & Dog Friendly Pubs/Cafes

Which St Ives hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cheshire
13 posts
Save Topic
St Ives & Dog Friendly Pubs/Cafes

Does anybody know of any Dog friendly pubs or cafe's etc in St Ives? Would it be a case of just asking as she's only a small westie?

Thanks

St Ives, Cornwall
Level Contributor
109 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Ives & Dog Friendly Pubs/Cafes

Most of the pubs in St Ives welcome dogs - although a few that have separate restaurant areas might ask you to keep to the bar areas.

Cafes - not so sure (we don't have a dog) - most will probably be be ok - particularly if they have outdoor seating. Best simply to ask nicely.

Just as an aside - St Ives Town Council are currently talking about banning dogs from the beaches - 365 days a year and possibly 24 hours a day. One councillor in particular is pushing hard for this. Its highly likely that local dog owners will be asking St Ives visitors to back them up and make their views known to the council. Watch this space.

shrewsbury
Level Contributor
157 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Ives & Dog Friendly Pubs/Cafes

that would be a real shame ,we love to take the dog on the beach after hours he loves it.

as for banning all year that would be just stupid may the 1st -30 september is fine

Somerset
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Ives & Dog Friendly Pubs/Cafes

We have always found St Ives to be very welcoming to dogs and responsible owners. It's part of the reason we have been coming back for years :)

It is such a shame that a minority of lazy , irresponsible dog owners have to spoil such a wonderful place for other visitors. It really is no hassle to carry a few poo bags with you and there are no shortage of bins. No excuse really!

If dogs were banned I would have to sadly say bye to our annual tradition of out of season visits with our dog :(

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Ives & Dog Friendly Pubs/Cafes

I agree about the dogs. It is the irresponsible owners that should be punished but it never seems to happen. I am not a dog owner myself but I can see how rotten it is for people who want to take their pets on holiday to not be able to take them on the beach.

They did a beach clean-up at Gwithian a year or so back and the amount of poo bags that had just been left there was unbelievable. What's the point of cleaning it up and not taking it with you to the dog bins? Leaving this kind of stuff behind is bad news whether bagged up or not.

Not sure what the answer is here because I guess it would be too expensive to employ someone to spot and give fixed penalty notices and bans to irresponsible owners and, to be honest, I bet it would be impossible to catch people out.

Suzi

england
Level Contributor
244 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Ives & Dog Friendly Pubs/Cafes

St Ives-very pretty to look at but... Reading the BBC's report on the proposed full dog ban I would just like to say: Padstow is extremely dog friendly.

And to the people who support a ban: There are quite a few (responsible) dog owners out there who might now think twice about visiting. Lost income. But if you can afford it...

Elfin

St Ives
Level Contributor
381 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Ives & Dog Friendly Pubs/Cafes

There won't be a 'full dog ban', but most likely a return to what was accepted as fine for over 25 years (no dogs on the main beaches 1 April - 30 September) until it was (inadvertently) changed 4 years ago. No doubt we'll lose a few visitors but probably gain just as many who appreciate clean, safe sands.

St Ives, Cornwall
Level Contributor
109 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Ives & Dog Friendly Pubs/Cafes

Fair comment PastyMan - but could I point out that some people actually live and work in St Ives, many of whom have dogs. Our wonderful beaches are not provided solely for the benefit of our visitors.

Level Contributor
2 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Ives & Dog Friendly Pubs/Cafes

Just wondered whether anyone has a dog friendly favourite pub/restaurant/cafe, particularly one where you can eat inside in poor weather.....plenty of places to eat outside on a sunny day but unfortunately that's not always the case. Cheers

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Ives & Dog Friendly Pubs/Cafes

You can take dogs into The Union Inn on Fore Street and they will even make sure your pet has a drink of water. Good pub food and tea, coffee, cider and a good selection of other drinks available.

Suzi

Edited: 4:24 pm, July 11, 2011
Level Contributor
2 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St Ives & Dog Friendly Pubs/Cafes

Thanks Suzi. The review tested my O level French from 25 years ago!