We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling without a car to Cornwall

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling without a car to Cornwall

Is it possible to stay in a B&B in St Ives and travel to places like minack theatre, lands end, St Michael's mount,etc... without a car? Is there enough public transport in Cornwall for sight seeing?

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling without a car to Cornwall

Hi

Yes it is possible to reach these places by bus. See this interactive map and links to bus services cornwallpublictransport.info/bus_routemap.asp

You can also take the train from St Ives to Penzance which may well link in to the buses for the places you mention.

Penzance bus station is right next to the railway station.

london
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling without a car to Cornwall

it's theoretically possible but would be very slow ... for instance to get to the Minack you'd have to take a bus or train to Penzance, then a bus to Porthcurno, then climb up to the top of the cliffs to the Minack entrance

there's bus route maps on this website

www.cornwallpublictransport.info/bus_maps.asp

I love Cornwall and St Ives is beautiful, but if you were wanting to travel around by public transport (especially to the places you list) you might be better off basing yourself in Penzance

Cornwall, England
Level Contributor
602 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling without a car to Cornwall

Have a look at this link

firstgroup.com/ukbus/…

We camped in St Buryan (nr Penzance) about 2 years ago and bought an explorer ticket (I think it cost £13.00 for two of us) and visited Penzance, Newlyn, Porthcurnow and Lands End (just the place not the attractions) in one day, we then popped back to Newlyn for the evening (though the bus timetable doesn't seem to show evening times now). Marazion is on here too but I don't know if that may be a bit too much in one day, maybe you could share it out between a couple of days. When you think of petrol and parking, we thought it a bargain.

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling without a car to Cornwall

@badcat110, cazinatutu, coxei - thanks for your suggestions. I'm planning a four day tour (including the 6 hours of train travel each way between London & Cornwall)...going by what you all have said, those many days might be enough to cover the important places I think.

Missouri USA
Level Contributor
405 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling without a car to Cornwall

Oates Travel offers trips to Minack theater from St. Ives. I was going to use them in 2009, but we didn't have enough time for that. If you will be in Cornwall after June 1, There is a bus that goes around from St. Ives to Lands End to Penzance and back to St. Ives. You can hop on and off with an all-day pass.

6. Re: Travelling without a car to Cornwall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, October 30, 2012