We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at Blue Hayes and looking for restaurant advice

Sheffield
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at Blue Hayes and looking for restaurant advice

We've just booked to stay at the Blue Hayes hotel in early May for 3 nights, as I undestand it the hotel only does cold light suppers so will likely eat out for lunch and dinner and was hoping for some recommendations? There are some on the hotel website but we've never been to the area before so not sure what they're like....

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Heather

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at Blue Hayes and looking for restaurant advice

Hi Heather

Please check out the Tripadvisor link for restaurants:-

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g186243-St_Ive…

I am getting married at Blue Hayes this year so my dilemma is which restaurant to choose in the evening and I am mulling over this at the moment. I want to make sure I choose the right place and I am toying between somewhere I've been before that I really love or somewhere new and I am in quite a quandary! I do believe, from reading reviews of Blue Hayes, that the cold suppers are pretty substantial so, dependant on the weather, you might fancy staying there one evening.

St Ives has fabulous restaurants and there are so many to choose from. For me, it has to be one on the harbour with a fabulous sea view. In this regard you are spoilt for choice. There is The Alba, Cafe Coast, Hobblers, Caffe Pasta, Alfresco Cafe Bar, The Loft Restaurant (this has a harbour view from the terrace), Ocean Grill, Spinacios (Vegetarian), Firehouse Bar & Grill (this is on Fore Street but has a view of The Harbour over the rooftops from the window seats in the restaurant) and Onshore. There is a restaurant called The Captain's Table over The Sloop and that should have harbour views too. I've never been although I have eaten in The Sloop and the food there is good although it can be hard work because it gets so busy in there.

To be honest, the last two occasions I went to Caffe Pasta, it was not good and this is a vein that has been echoed by other reviewers. I was not impressed with Onshore either. The Alba and Hobblers get mixed reviews and I have never been to either. Alfresco Cafe Bar looks good and that is odds on for this year for me. My personal favourites are Ocean Grill and Firehouse Bar & Grill. Both are fantastic. Cafe Coast does some fabulous food as well.

Another restaurant I do like without a harbour view is The Mermaid. There are plenty of other restaurants away from The Harbour but I tend to stay away from these as I do like a nice view when I'm out for dinner.

Do check out the reviews from the link though and, also, have a Google for websites for the restaurants because you can see sample menus to give you an idea of what you might like.

There are a number of Beach Cafes too and the nearest one to Blue Hayes is The Porthminster Beach Cafe. It seems to have quite a reputation, however, some recent reviews say it is relying on its reputation and not trying anymore. There is a fantastic takeaway from the restaurant which is a great spot for lunch and you can sit at a bench on the beach and look out to sea eating fish and chips or crab cake and chips. The chips are out of this world so, if that is anything to go by, the restaurant should be amazing! They have a small garden too where they grow some herbs and other produce that they use in the restaurant. There is definitely a website for this place and it is worth a look. It is quite on the pricey side though I believe so it depends on your budget!

I am sure you will have a lovely time at Blue Hayes. Malcolm and Sue are very welcoming and have been helping me out with all my arrangements and going for beyond what I would expect really, they are both ever so lovely. Have a wonderful time.

Hope this helps.

Suzi

Sheffield
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at Blue Hayes and looking for restaurant advice

Wow Suzi, many thanks for the great reply! I have only just come back on to read some other topics and hadnt realised mine had a reply (I thought I was going to get notified by email but I must have forgotten to tick the box).

Thats so helpful, I have read some reviews from the link already and googles some of the websites too.

One last question.....I have heard that you need to book early to get a table at a lot of places in St. Ives....have you founbd yopu needed to book much in advance??

3. Re: Staying at Blue Hayes and looking for restaurant advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:47 am, February 13, 2012
Edited: 11:47 am, February 13, 2012
4. Re: Staying at Blue Hayes and looking for restaurant advice

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:47 am, February 13, 2012
Sheffield
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at Blue Hayes and looking for restaurant advice

Many thanks for that, we may book the evening meals next week then just to enure we get the times we want, glad to hear it wont be too busy early May too, should make it a bit easier - just need to hope this lovely weather keeps up! My husband cant ignore the allure of the 28oz tbone steak at portminster cafe so looks like that is a must visit! Now just to decide on the other 2 nights there - so many places that sound brilliant, if only we had longer to visit them all!

Many thanks again for such brilliant information. I wish you all the very best for your wedding plans at BH later this year, wedding planning can be a tad stressful (I know, I got married last year) but if the BH reviews are anything to go by I'm sure you'll have a brilliant wedding there.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying at Blue Hayes and looking for restaurant advice

Hi there,

I can also recommend ocean grill,( my personal favourite), The Hub is also another good place to eat along with all the others Suzi Mentioned.

However I think you should give the Reef bar a miss if you come across it, located between the lifeboat pub and the Sloop, next door to a small artists shop/gallery, pretty poor in my opinion which is a shame because the views are A1.

Best wishes

Jake

Edited: 7:39 pm, April 23, 2011
Sheffield
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying at Blue Hayes and looking for restaurant advice

Many thansk for your information too Jake, very much appreciated. Will be sure the avoid the reef bar then!

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying at Blue Hayes and looking for restaurant advice

Thanks very much, I am looking forward to it. At peak times it is always best to book restaurants and I agree with Pastyman's advice. I will definitely be booking my restaurants because it will be almost peak season when I am there. I think it is always necessary to book Porthminster Beach Cafe because of its reputations and various awards that it has accumulated over the years. It is often reviewed in the press so it is extremely popular.

I hope you have a lovely time in St Ives. Not long to go now :-)

Suzi

9. Re: Staying at Blue Hayes and looking for restaurant advice

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 30, 2012
Get answers to your questions about St Ives